I Had Quietly Packed

"D.C. trip is in two weeks, Sunshine." Elle said, rolling a suitcase in my room. "Better start packing." 

"Mommy?" I asked, grabbing a bunch of T-shirts from my closet. Elle sat on my bed and looked in my eyes. I sighed and put the handful of shirts down on the floor. "I'm scared about the phone rule."

"This is exactly why I was skeptical of you going on this trip, Sunshine..." Elle said under her breath. I sighed and crawled into Elle's lap. She wrapped her arms around me and said, "Do you still want to go?"

"YES! I've been looking forward to this for three years now! Of course I want to go!" I screamed. Elle rubbed my back and said, "Shh...you're being loud. I know you want to go, but are you sure you can handle it?"

"Do you not want me going or something? Because if not, I'm sure you can get your money back." I snapped. 

Elle gasped and followed me out of the room. "Sunshine!" she yelled, grabbing my arm and putting her hands on my shoulders. "Of course I want you to go on the trip. But if this phone rule is really bothering you, then it might be best for you to stay home. Jess and I are doing everything we can, but no promises, okay Sunshine?" I nodded, taking a few slow breaths to calm myself down. 

"Good girl. Now, let's keep on packing." Elle said, going back to my closet. "I'm gonna miss you the few days you're gone, you do know that, right Sunshine?" I nodded, feeling suddenly guilty that I was so excited to go on this trip. I've never been away from Elle or Jess for this long before. 

I've actually never been away from home for more than a night alone before. Even before Elle took me in. So to be honest, I was a little scared. Scratch that, really scared.

Elle opened the suitcase on the floor. I grabbed some T-shirts and a pair of shorts, it probably would be pretty warm in the middle of June. I smiled at Elle and kept packing some shirts and dresses.

"You're growing up, Sunshine. When you get home from D.C., we're going to be celebrating your 14th birthday. You're going to be fourteen years old. I can't believe it. I remember when you were that scared twelve year old. I saw you grow up, gain some confidence. And a smile. I remember the first time I saw you smile. And it was beautiful. I nearly cried because of it." Elle said. 

"Can I tell you something, Mommy?" I asked, sitting on my bed. Elle nodded and pulled me into her lap. "Go right ahead, Sunshine."

"You were the first person that had made me smile in a long time." I said. Elle gasped and started sobbing in my hair. 

"S-Sunshine...thank you so much..." Elle said. "You have no idea what that means to me as your mother..." 

"I'm so glad to be your daughter..." I said. "You have no idea how much you changed my life, Mommy..."

"What's going on in here? Why is Elle crying?" Jessica said, walking in and sitting on my bed. Elle sat up and said, "She j-just told me that I was the f-first person that made her smile in a l-long time..."

Jessica smiled and wrapped me in a hug. She let go after a few minutes and noticed the suitcase on the floor. "Packing for D.C.?" Jess asked. I nodded frantically and said, "We're sorting through my clothes!"

"Good girl!" Jessica said. "Are you going to bring your blankie with you? I think I know the answer, but I just want to ask." I nodded frantically and said, "That's the last thing I'm gonna pack." 

"We're going to have a party in a few days before you go. With the whole cast and all your friends." Elle said. I happily bounced on my feet and hugged my mom and aunt. 

"I love when you plan parties!" I squealed. 

"Me too, Sunshine. Me too. I love seeing you happy." Elle said. 

I got squished in a hug between Elle and Jessica, feeling loved. 

I'm sure going to miss this for the week I'm away in D.C.

But at the same time, I'm looking forward to this. A lot.

AN: Just saying this now as a warning: D.C. is N O T going to be all sunshine and rainbows and happiness. Come on, I'm the one writing this book, you know it's gonna be evil! Hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!