I Wish I Were Nancy (Heather)

Start from the beginning

-Later that night-

You laid in bed, in the red sweater that Steve had given you the night you stayed over at his due to being locked out of your own home. You pressed the sleeves over your hands as your legs became uncovered in the mini shorts you were wearing. The sleeves tickled your nose, causing you to sniffle in, the cologne he wears filling your nose. You feel the tears begin to fall, small sobs leaving your lips. You jump as you hear a knock at your window. The rain roughly tapped against your window and around the figure of your best friend. Rushing to pull the blankets off of your body and over to the window. You open the window, causing the rain to create a puddle around the window sill as Steve fell into your bedroom and onto the floor. A groan falls from his lips as he hits head first on the ground. You sigh, grabbing a hold of him under his arms to help him up.

"Steve. Steve, what are you doing here?" You breathe out as you finally get Steve up on his feet. Alcohol being present on his breath. You hear him sigh, his breathing becoming steady as he looks around your room, then down at you.

"Why'd you leave?" You wrap your arms around your small figure compared to him, shrugging your shoulders gently. Biting down on your bottom lip, you walk over to your closet, pulling out a few of his extra clothes for when he last stayed over. Tossing them towards him, you hear him chuckle.

"What?" You shoot towards him a bit annoyed. He pulls his hands up in defense, taking the clothes from your hands. Shrugging, he opens his mouth to speak but it's barely over a whisper.

"You're wearing my sweater." He looks over the sweater as he meets your eyes. A smile on his face as he reaches his free hand to run it through his hair. Pointing towards your bathroom, he takes off towards it, closing the door behind him. You go towards your bed, pulling the blankets back as you envelop yourself in the sheets, pulling the blankets back over your figure. Hearing the water running then turning off, you hear the door become unlocked as his wet hair appears through the door way. "Can I stay tonight?" 

"Steve." You warn before sighing, knowing you can't tell him 'no.' So pushing yourself to one side, you put a pillow between you and the free space. Turning your side lamp off, you cuddle yourself to your side, closing your eyes. You feel the bed dip beside you, a sigh leaving his lips. You open your eyes and stare blankly at the wall. "Where's Nancy?"

"Let's talk about something else. Like how beautiful you looked tonight." You roll your eyes before turning over to face him, a small smile pressing itself against your soft features. A frown then falls upon them as you think thoroughly.

 A frown then falls upon them as you think thoroughly

"She broke up with you... didn't she?" A small sigh falls from his partly opened lips. His eyes closing tightly as he nods. He then quickly turns to face your figure. His voice becoming slightly hoarse as if he's about to cry.

"I don't get it y/n. She said everything is bullshit. I mean, she said we were 'acting' as if we were in love, but..." You quickly cut him off.

"In love?" You feel your heart sink into your stomach as you look down towards your hands that played with the edges of the sweater. Biting down on your tongue to keep you from saying anything else, you nod for him to go on.

"She just told me, our love was bullshit. That we acted like we were in love when it was all just bullshit, bullshit... bullshit." You close your eyes tightly as you let a few tears fall from your eyes, his face softens as he notices your small figure becoming smaller. Grabbing the pillow that lied between the two of you like Nancy had fallen between the relationship between the two of you. Throwing it off to the side, Steve pulls you in to his figure. His eyes show worry and concern as you let out a soft whimper. "Hey, hey, hey... What's wrong? You can talk to me." You bury your face into his clothed chest, letting the tears fall. Wetting his shirt. 

"I--I liked you Steve. I liked you so much." You let out another sob as you shake your head against his chest. His figure becoming stiff as he held you. Not knowing how you truly felt, made him feel stupid. He never liked to see you cry. And over him? That made him feel worse. "I mean--I mean I know why you chose Nancy Wheeler over me, Steve. She's all you ever talk about. The way you look at her when she walks by. Like as if she's an angel floating around on a cloud. I just constantly asked why you couldn't look at me that way. Talk to me the way you do her, or about me as a matter of fact like you do her. Why couldn't you hold my hand, Steve? Why couldn't you have needed me like I needed you?" You gain the courage to look up at Steve as he lays beside you. His eyes full of tears as a few had fallen down his cheeks in the process. He presses his finger towards the bottom of your chin, lifting your head up to look you in the eyes. Leaning down, he fears for losing you, like he had with others. But pushing those thoughts aside, this is what you both needed. He presses his lips gently against yours. You're shocked at first, but close your eyes to lean into the kiss. Pressing your firm hand against his cheek as his lips moved against yours. Slowly pulling away, both of your breathing being the only sound other than the rain outside, being heard. You open your eyes to look up at him, full of vulnerability. He keeps his eyes closed before opening them to meet your gaze. A wide smile plastering itself against his lips. A smile formed against yours as well. Pressing his head against yours, he kisses your nose before leaning back to lay on his side, you tightly in his arms. You rest your head into his shirt, closing your eyes as sleep overtakes both of your bodies.