41

Homecoming landed on the day before my birthday.

I didn't have a dress and homecoming was tomorrow.

"Fuck!" I yelled slamming my hands against the counter. I had too much going on. School work was piling on and college applications and now this.

I called Amukta.

"I don't have a dress." I said right when she picked up.

"What do you mean you don't have a dress? I'm coming to your homecoming and even I have a dress. Drop whatever you're doing we're going shopping.

"I have work tonight and then the football game! How about tomorrow?"

"Homecoming is tomorrow. NO! Girl what are you going to do?"

"I don't know. I could just wake up really early."

"You do know there is going to be nothing left tomorrow morning right?"

"I'll figure something out."

"Let me know when you do," she said and we ended the call a couple minutes later.

The café was packed that day for my entire shift. It didn't slow down until eight forty-five.

I was exhausted when I got to the game. I was really late, but I wouldn't miss Michael's last game.

By the time I got there, the game was almost over.

"I'm so sorry, the café was packed," I apologized to Michael and he pulled me into a hug. I didn't care if he was all sweaty, I hugged him back.

"I don't care. Unlike last year, you were able to stay through the game, and WE WON!"

"Arabella!" I was crushed by Marion. "Hey girl!"

"You were amazing out there!" I congratulated. "Are you friends with Kane?" I asked her.

"Eh. We talk sometimes. He comes back on the weekends and comes to practice to watch."

"What do you think of him?" I asked her.

"He's really cute, but he's in college. I'm not even applying there because I don't have a chance, so no."

"Alright, that makes sense. Are you excited for homecoming?"

"Everyone is. My dress is so cute!"

"I don't have a dress yet," I whispered to her.

"You dumb motherfucker."

"I'll figure something out. Don't worry," I emphasized.

"You could wear a sack and you'd look sexy."

~
I went home so exhausted, I could cry.

A year ago, the idea of crying out emotion was foreign to me. I didn't feel it, I didn't cry over it. I walked through life with a straight face and the emotional range of the stopped heart.

I threw myself onto the bed and groaned in pain when I felt a box under me.

There was a note attached to it.

I won't be home tonight. There's a lot going on at home. I'll see you tomorrow when I pick you up. I got you a dress last week when I realized you forgot.