24

I wasn't seeing mom today. I had a long shift after school and wasn't going to be able to make it.

"¡Arabella, Despiértate!" my Spanish teacher yelled and my eyes flew open and I jerked up sitting straight on my desk. I looked over at Daniyal, sitting across the room, and he was laughing at me, so I gave him a dirty look.

"Lo siento, Maestra," I apologized turning to look at her.

I felt my phone vibrate and I looked at it.

Do you not get sleep?

I do! I'm just always exhausted, so I get tired really easily!

We have clinicals this weekend. Get your shit together.

I'm trying!!!

Good.

Daniyal was like a parent sometimes. As much as I wanted to, I couldn't hate it. It gave me a bit of stability. It was comforting to have someone care like a parent.

It felt nice to have someone watch over me like that.

School let out, and I found Atlas waiting by the doors for me.

"Let's go, I'm taking a nap we get to your house," he grumbled and I held in a laugh.

"Why are you so tired?"

"I woke up too early to study for my math test." I let out a laugh and he glared at me, leading me to laugh at him more.

"That's my dad's car," he said and I felt my throat close up and my breathing get heavy. He gave me knowing look.

He had been in my car before. He knew this was my car. He did this on purpose.

"So what is your car at the auto center for?" I asked.

"Nothing. It's not even there, it's at home. I just thought this would cheer you up. I didn't notice this was the car until a couple weeks back." He threw me the keys.

"I'm tired, you're driving," he disclosed and I nodded with over excitement.

I got in the front seat.

I inhaled the scent of car. It smelled different, but it still smelled good. I put my hands on the wheel and it felt familiar.

I felt myself relax as I started the car.

"Thank you." I look over at Atlas to see him looking at me with half a smile and I smiled back.

"I'm just letting you drive the car," he said.

"It was my dad's car. He loved her so much. Driving this car made me feel safe. I felt like I was with him again, so, thank you so much."

"You don't need to thank me."

"Stop being modest, it makes me uncomfortable," I joked.

"Stop thanking me, it makes me uncomfortable."

"Speaking of uncomfortable, I have a shift from four to nine today, so I will be gone long, and for once, I won't come home puking." Apparently, something I said was wrong, because he gave me a look.