51

I don't let myself go anywhere near my bed when I come from work. I head straight to the bathroom and strip out of my scrubs and take a shower. I have also had all the safety protocols drilled into my head for the last eight years since my CNA class.

Having to take a sick day was not a part of the plan. Amukta keeps yelling at me for studying while I should be resting, but I think that if I can recall the material with a headache then I can recall the material on exam day.  I told her I wouldn't spend over an hour studying.

It's so close to exam day that I can't breath normally. I have one week. I know all the material, but it's still terrifying. Amukta and I leave for her parents' place three days after my test.

I finally pick up the ringing phone.

"I've called you five times! WHY DID YOU HANG UP ON ME!" Amukta yelled, her voice laced with concern.

"I thought it was my alarm," I defended myself. I hear her let out a breath of relief.

"When I see you again, I'm changing my ringtone to something you'll never forget. Besides, why would your alarm be going off at noon?"

I took a one hour nap at nine thirty. It obviously didn't last an hour.

"I took a nap. I have to review."

"If I didn't have class in twenty minutes, I'd come over and help you review myself." She only had Sundays off. "I'll just send someone else."

"I'm gonna get them sick. Seriously, don't." Plus, they wouldn't let me study.

"He'll wear a mask, keep six feet in between you guys, and help you review. I already sent Atlas a link to the Anki you made."

"I am going to cough until he leaves."

"No you won't. If the nurses help you in between shifts, Atlas will have no trouble asking you some questions with words he can't pronounce on a Saturday. If anything, you'll appreciate it. Don't strain your eyes staring at words or a screen. Take a break, Arabella. He's bringing you some food too."

"You told him Fettuccine Alfredo wasn't fit for a sick person, right?" I asked.

"I think he's smarter than that," she laughed. I heard a knock on the door. "That must be him. Bye! Don't give him too hard of a time. Love you."

"Bye, love you," I responded before she ended the call. I got out of bed and opened the door.

"You should be in bed." Oh, thank you for such a heart warming greeting.

"Someone had to open the door. So, Amukta told me you have my Anki? Yea, can you quiz me?" I asked.

"I got you a lot of fruit and gatorade. Eat and I'll ask you questions." I got a tray from my kitchen and put the plastic bowl full of cut up fruit on it to avoid getting my bed dirty.

Atlas asked question after question. He mispronounced a lot of the terms, but I knew what he meant because I had memorized the spelling for all of them. He would stop and raise a brow when I took a break from eating or eye the gatorade sitting on my nightstand.

After an hour of me forcing me to shove fruits down my throat and asking questions, he stopped.

"Arabella, you need to take a break. Take a nap." He closed his laptop.

"What? No! I can keep going. If you're tired you can take a break." I got out of bed, reaching for my book.

"No. I meant you need to rest. Get back in bed, close your eyes, and sleep."