19

My mom's eyes widened in awe as she took in her surroundings.

"Wow. This is beautiful. Thank you so much. Really, thank you," she said tearing up. She looked at me holding the star and took it from my hand before putting it on the tree. "I really wasn't expecting something like this. I was thinking of adding a couple small things, but I never thought of doing something like this," she said. She wiped away a couple tears with a smile.

"Look at this," Amukta said and pressed a button on the remote she was holding.

"You wrapped fairy lights around the garlands? I tried doing that once, but that so frustrated, I stopped trying," my mom said. "I love the vanilla candle."

They hung around talk to my mom for around an hour before one by one they started to leave. Amukta was the last to leave.

She decided to take a nap and I left a note letting her know I was going to work.

Amukta was coming to work with me, since she was staying over this weekend, which I was pretty excited for.

I walked into the café to see Amukta talking to Lina.

"Hey," they both said at the same time as I walked in and I waved at them.

The rest of the weekend went by smoothly. I got a good amount of sleep on Saturday night. Amukta and I fell asleep halfway through He's Just NOT That Into You. We've seen it too many times.

I used Sunday to relax. I watched a couple movies and then went on a walk in the snow with Amukta before she had to leave. The thing about being home alone was that I didn't feel embarrassed about blasting music.

I turned up the heater and threw on a pair of boxers and fuzzy socks with a tank top and put Michael Bublé's Christmas album on shuffle while making Mac n Cheese for dinner.

The door bell rang and I slightly turned down the music to go open the door to see Atlas.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" I blurted out. Of course I was annoyed. We aren't friends. You don't just show up to someone's house like that.

"Michael didn't want you alone so he asked me to hang around for a while. He said he would've done it on his own, but he's going out for dinner with his family. I don't wanna be here either."

"You could've just said no. Oh, well. Come in I guess," I said and he looked me up and down. I held his face so that my thumb and middle finger were pushing against his cheeks and his chin was resting in my palm. "No."

"Whatever, I won't bother you. You can go back to doing whatever you were before," he said.  I rolled by eyes because him being there was stopping me from what I was doing before. I turned off the music, because there's no point if I wasn't going to jam out to it.

"Why did you turn it off?"

"Because you're here."

"I wanna listen to it," he said making me want to keep it off.

"No. Get headphones or something."

I was being unnecessarily rude to him. While I was waiting for the pasta to cook, I decided to make the cheese. I took the cheese from the box and added lemon pepper, crushed pepper, a bit of garlic powder, and crushed dry basil it to and mixed it. I felt hands grip my waist, fingers digging into my skin through my tank, spinning me around. His hands left my waist and he set them on the counter right behind me, causing him to be dangerously close as he stood over me.

"Don't be a bitch.  I don't want to be here."

"Then don't be here. Leave," I suggested and he didn't seem to like that because he leaned into me a bit more.