Atlas: Chapter 26

My life was going crazy. I never expected that I'd be watching over Arabella, but here we are. I should know how to comfort her. I do know how to comfort someone: the same way no one comforted me when Carli died. But making sure Arabella doesn't go do something insane is going to be much harder than I had realized.

I wanted to break something. Michael and Daniyal had just left the house. Arabella said she was going to sleep, and I can't believe I believed her.

She wants something to distract her. I get that; that's what I wanted, but she can't go around doing that kind of stuff or else she won't stop.

Damn it. I can't even get her to eat.

I rushed to my car and went to whoever's house the party was at.

I saw Arabella with the guy from homecoming. I saw the way he looked her up and down in those shorts and I wanted to claw his fucking eyes out.

They went upstairs together. They went upstairs together.

Fucking hell.

I quickly went after them, and grabbed Arabella's hand.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" I asked her. I didn't even care that the guy was just standing there.

"What are you doing here?" She retorted. She was trying to hide the panic on her face and failing. Failing real bad.

"After Michael and Daniyal left to go home, I came in to check on you. That wig was too perfectly placed. Plus, the teddy bear is twice your size." My grip around her wrist tightened, and then I loosened it. I wasn't going to let go; I didn't want them running, but I didn't want to hurt her.

"Dude, go find another girl," The guy she was with argued. This fucking close to stapling his mouth shut.

"Arabella, let's go." I pulled on her hand.

"No." I swear to god, this girl.

"Dude, if she's your girlfriend might as well leave, you already know she's cheating on you." Apparently Arabella didn't like that he said that either.

"Dude, shut up," Both of us said to him.

"She's not my girlfriend." I look at her. I really didn't want to pull this card. Fuck. "Your mom's funeral is tomorrow, and you are partying," I said.

"Oh, you know what, I'm gonna leave," The guy. Neither of us were paying attention to him though.

"I just want a distraction. I'm not treated like I'm made of glass or some shit. I'm normal here. I'm suffocating constantly having you watch over me. I just want a distraction. I want to get laid." I felt like I was punched in the fucking gut. I was being exactly who I didn't want to be. This wasn't how I was supposed to be to her.

"Let's go home. We can talk about this there," I said softly.

I drove home really mad. So mad, I almost honked at a fucking bird.

"Why the fuck would you leave?" I asked her. I failed at trying to hold it back. At least leave a fucking note. If I didn't know there was a party tonight, I would've gone bat-shit fucking crazy.

"Because I can?" I feel like I'm dealing with myself from a year ago.

"No. Why were you there?" I feel like my mom getting upset at me for acting up after Carli's funeral and partying my ass off with a fake ID my parents caught me with that night.

"To get laid." Jealousy.

"Arabella, I'm trying to help you here, please." I felt desperate for something. Was I really trying to help her or was I just trying to understand myself from a year ago? Maybe it was both.