chapter 37 - the daughter

Start from the beginning

His statue was in the backyard of the house he had owned nearby the Agency. It wasn't nearly as tall as the one at the Agency itself - but grand enough to show all who passed it that the man buried there was very, very important.

Every two weeks, Y/n would've created enough golden roses to make a bouquet. She'd take the golden roses back and make the bouquet, bringing them back to the Agency and laying them at the foot of the towering statue of her late lover instead.

Month three was a doozy. It was hard enough to adjust to suddenly being in charge, and even harder when Shadow began attacking again. Constantly on her toes, Y/n had to put her grieving on the back burner. She felt guilty that she could not visit his grave daily as she had hoped - but made up for it by bringing two golden roses instead of just one if she missed a day or two.

By month four Y/n and Meowscles had finally devised a plan to take down Shadow. Their sole targets were Oblivion and Omega - once they had fallen, Shadow would crumble. The pair was their faction's last hope.

Part of Y/n wanted their heads mounted on her office wall, so Midas' could finally get justice for his murder. Or maybe she could turn their bodies to solid gold after giving them a slow, torturous and painful death. Either way, Oblivion would pay tenfold for the crimes she had committed.

Though it was now four months without Midas, Y/n solely kept to herself and only left the Agency to visit him or to visit the other Agents when they so needed it. She stayed in her office or room most of her days, her mind too clouded with loss to want to do anything else. Her depressed state began to affect her Agents, too, and it showed.

Skye was less than cheery, barely cracking jokes and smiling nearly as much as she had prior to his death. Brutus was grumpier than he had ever been. Meowscles was more stern and in total work mode, and Maya was angrier and more blood thirsty than she had felt since she joined Ghost. Tina was the only one left that felt remotely sane - but the dreary attitude of her teammates began to take hold of her eventually, too.

By now it seemed that Oblivion and Omega were as well trying to take down the Agency, as per normal. But due to Ghost's supreme lust for Shadow's downfall, the Agents didn't falter and continued to protect the Agency until their last breath. They already lost one family member - they weren't about to lose another.

Month five was the month that the team had been waiting for. After two weeks of radio silence from Shadow, a cloaked figure ascended the grand steps of the Agency.

Carrying a bag over her black cloak, she walked towards the doors when two henchmen stopped her.

"Who are you?" One of them asked. The woman lifted her head up and peered over at the henchmen, who could only notice the faint glow of her amber eyes under the hood, "I'm delivering to the boss a bounty."

She flashed a bounty token - the bounty token that was sent widespread throughout the Island requesting anyone to kill Omega and Oblivion.

The man grunted, putting his rifle on his back as he began to walk her in, "I will escort you."

Rook peered up from her desk, sitting up straight as she saw the henchman and the cloaked woman walk in. She cleared her throat, "May I help you?"

"I am a bounty hunter requesting permission to speak with the Boss. Targets have been neutralized," the figure responded simply, lifting the bag slightly to show she was serious. Rook's eyes widened as she stood up, "Did you kill Omega and Oblivion?"

The figure rest the bag on the counter and opened the back, and Rook nearly passed out as she nodded quickly, "P-Please escort her to Agent Y/i's office."