chapter 9 - narrow escape

Midas ran forward and held Y/n up from the ground. She whimpered in pain as she clutched her abdomen, Midas' golden hand resting atop of hers. His body began to turn fully gold again as his blood boiled, glaring at the man that shot her.

Deadpool.

He stood strong, his skull bleeding as he held one of Midas' golden pistols in his hand, gripping one of his katanas in the other hand. "Traitors don't deserve to live!" he shouted, ready to shoot another shot when Midas quickly turned around and the bullet hit him straight in the back, causing everyone inside the vault to gasp audibly.

"M-Midas, wh-why did you-?" Y/n stammered, but Midas remained unscathed. The bullet instead smacked onto the floor. Midas brushed off his back and got up quickly, bashing the vault control panel to force it shut. He rushed inside and Deadpool sprinted at full speed towards the vault.

Midas laid Y/n down and used his and Meowscles' combined strength to speed the vault up and close it quicker. As soon as it shut, Deadpool ran headfirst into the vault door, causing a loud bang to ripple through the metal vault.

He roared in frustration and gave up, retreating to check on his teammate Agent Giller. Midas, along with everyone else, instantly turned to Y/n who laid on the floor, bleeding. She whimpered as Midas rest his hand on her shoulder, slowly turning back to normal.

"Hang in there, sweetheart," he frowned, reluctantly moving her hand away from her abdomen. Her hand was soaked in blood, and her shirt was drenched where the bullet broke through her skin. She winced as the air touched the wound, causing her to cower.

"W-we don't have time... we have to get out of here b-before Deadpool can get I-in!" she tried to fight, beginning to sit up when Midas shushed her, "No. We are healing you first." he turned and opened one of the chests, and took out a medkit.

"We have to go!" Y/n protested, wincing as she tried to make the pain seem less than it actually was. "I-I'm fine...! W-we can go out through that hideout.. it's a direct link to Steamy Stacks. We can take the stacks, f-fly back to the Agency, and get a bigger squad! And t-take... take do-down... D-Dead-"

"Y/n!" Midas gasped, noticing her eyes start to flutter shut. "No, no no! Don't you dare leave me, NO!" Midas was in a haze of panic. He dropped the medkit and grabbed her gently, cupping her cheek. He didn't know why he was so scared, he truly didn't. Yes, she was one of his agents, but this scared him half to death. He hadn't felt this scared since those days.

"Don't hurt her!" Midas roared, clutching his fists, his eyes full of tears. "Please - she's innocent!"

"She was a mistake! As were you!" a cold, muffled voice replied.

"M-Midas!" a woman screamed, struggling against the other man's grasp. He pressed a shotgun to her head and Midas screamed out in agony as she was shot dead in front of him.

"DAMODICE!"

....

"D-Dad!" a young girl, around the age of 10 stammered. Her eyes were full of fear, looking up at her father in shock. "Wh-what did you-?"

"Marigold!" Midas gasped, looking down at his hands and then at his daughter in shock. "N-no... Marigold, I'm so sorry - I didn't... I didn't mean to! Please, please don't leave me!"

"DAD!" she reached out to him but it was too late. She already turned to solid gold.

Midas blinked back the tears he didn't know were in his eyes when a hand was pressed on his shoulder, "Boss... it's okay. She just passed out. We have to patch her up before she bleeds out, quickly," Maya frowned, never ever seeing her Boss this emotional before.

Midas quickly tried to snap out of his emotional haze as he laid her down, steadying his breathing. He moved his golden fingers quickly, sliding her shirt up to her neck to expose the wound.

His eyes trailed up her body slowly, and they began to linger. "Midas!" Maya clapped her hands, handing him the medkit again. Midas' cheeks heated up and he quickly grabbed the kit, fixing her up the best he could after taking the bullet out. It was risky, but he was no stranger to bullet wounds like that. He wrapped her abdomen in tight bandages, then pulled her shirt back down.

He cleared his throat and sat her up, keeping her on his lap. "N-now then," he sighed, looking over at the hideout. "I think we should follow her advice. We need to get out of here before Deadpool finds a way into the Vault."

"I thought he was our friend," Meowscles sighed, purring sadly. Midas looked down and picked Y/n up, holding her bridal style, "I thought so too. But it's pretty fucking sad that he dared to call Y/n a traitor when he was the one that overthrew his own team's Yacht. Get in the hideout and lets go. Now."

The three team members wasted no time jumping into the hideout, and waited for Midas on the other side. They came out directly outside of Steamy, and hopped over the fence to get inside.

"What now? We can't glide there, and the closest choppa spot is by a Shadow outpost," Tina sighed, looking around. "You three go," Midas responded, laying Y/n down for a moment to catch his breath. "I'll wait here with her until she wakes up. You can get a car and pick us up if you'd like, or we'll glide back once she's awake."

"We shouldn't just leave you guys here this close to the Yacht with no weapons!" Meowscles said, "what if Deadpool catches you?"

"I'll deal with that bastard myself. He shouldn't have hurt Y/n," Midas replied sternly. "Go. All of you, and that's an order."

"But-"

"Roy G Meowscles, thats an order!" Midas shouted, standing up and clenching his fists. He was undeniably angry, and the entire squad knew it. Maya sighed and grabbed Meowscles' furry hand, "Come on, Mew. We have to go."

"Please keep us updated, Boss," Tina frowned, walking away with her two team members.

Midas sighed and watched them walk away, then knelt down and picked her up. He carried her into one of the warehouses, making sure she was as comfortable as she could be. Eventually, he realized that laying flat on the concrete floor wasn't ideal for her condition - so he lifted her up and rest her head in his lap.

He looked down at her peaceful figure and smiled softly, petting her hair gently. Though he knew she was still hurt, he felt strangely at peace holding her like that. He admired her facial features, and chuckled to himself.

She really is gorgeous. But she's one of your Agents... and I still love Damodice.

Midas thought over his silent words for a moment. Did he still love Damodice? It's been over a year since he last thought of her, and almost a decade and a half since he last saw her. He felt he was finally ready to find love again - he just hadn't realized it would be that soon.

Am I falling for Y/n?