Chapter 35 - her golden touch

The next 44 hours were the quickest 44 hours Midas had ever felt in his life. It was filled with him pleading for her to reconsider, but being as stubborn as she was, she refused to budge.

It was now about 4 hours until they had planned to leave. Y/n was in her room getting dressed and ready to go. She wore a tight black bodycon suit and black boots. For fashion's sake, she would've worn heels, but a rescue mission doesn't exactly call for high heels.

She sighed as she struggled to put her hair into a bun, to keep her (h/c) hair out of her face. She wasn't about to let anything get in between her and this mission.

Gnawing at the back of her mind was the dark realization that this could all be a trap. And if it was, she could be risking hers and Midas' life for it. For a past friend.

Was it worth it?

She didn't know. But she was pulled out of her thoughts when Midas knocked softly on her door. She mumbled "come in" under her breath, and continued fighting with her hair to make a decent looking bun.

Midas walked in and sighed, noticing she was definitely getting ready to go. He crossed his arms, watching her, "Y/n. Listen, I really don't think—"

"Midas, I made up my mind already. I have to go back for her," she sighed, letting her arms fall to her side in frustration as the bun failed to turn out the way she wished. "I wouldn't live with myself if I knew she was dead and I could've saved her."

"You have a bigger heart than I do. I wish I could say I cared enough about others to do the same." he mumbled, sitting down on her bed as he watched her brush out her hair. "Lord knows I'd do the same for you or my Agents in a heartbeat."

Y/n set down her brush and turned around, "Are you... saying you're okay with this?" she chewed on her bottom lip nervously. Midas chuckled and looked down for a moment, "Yeah... yeah, I guess I am. But at the first sign of trouble, we are running back immediately, alright? This is serious shit."

"I know. Thank you, you don't know how much this means to me," she sighed heavily, leaning down and hugging him tightly. Midas smiled softly and pulled her down with him, letting her lay on top of him.

He hooked his arms around her much smaller body as she laid her head on his chest, "I think I have somewhat of an idea," he chuckled.

She giggled and continued to lay on him, looking up at him, "You know... I'm very, very shocked you even let us do this."

"Don't push your luck, gorgeous," he smirked, shaking his head and moving her off of him slowly. She whined and stayed put, spreading and securing her legs so she was straddling him, sitting up. Midas raises a brow and sat up as well, "What, you don't want off?"

"No," she grinned, running her hands down his chest. He rolled his eyes and gripped her hips with his larger hands, pulling her closer to him, "You're playing with fire, darling. We don't have much time before we need to go, anyway."

"Much time for what?" Y/n raised a brow, then took note of how close she was to him - and she realized what he was referring to. She smirked, "Oh. I know what you meant, that's not what I was going for."

"Don't act like you don't want it," Midas kept his grip tight, chuckling lowly, "you always want it, and you know I'm right."

Even though she knew he was right, she was thinking about the task at hand instead. Not only that, but she  knew that if they started they wouldn't stop.

"Yeah, but we gotta save Sorona first," Y/n replied, rolling off of him onto the bed. Midas rolled his eyes and stood up with her, pulling her right back to his chest as she squealed.