chapter 2 - missing agent

After a long carride from the Shadow HQ outside of Retail all the way to Holly, Y/n was exhausted. She parked her car on the driveway, headed inside, and locked the door behind her. She let out a heavy sigh, setting her keys on her key hook.

"God, that drive kills me every time," she mumbled to no one in particular. She made quick work making herself some dinner, and watched tv until she was a walking zombie.

She did her nightly routine and hopped into bed, shutting off the light when she got a text. She grumbled and rolled over to look at it.

Don't fail us. - Oblivion

"Always a box of cheer, aren't you?" she rolled her eyes, turning her phone off and rolling on her side. No one but Sorona and Chaos Agent really liked her being on the team. Everyone else practically hated her. Much to her dismay, she always had to prove herself to them.

Quickly, she fell into a deep sleep, hoping that the mission would go well in the morning.

<><><><><><><><><><>

Before she knew it, it was morning. Her alarm went off around 6 am - which was way too early for her - and she trudged out of bed. She quickly got to work on her morning routine as she waited for a page from Sorona.

About an hour or two passed and she finally got the page from her. She finished brushing her hair out and slid her boots on, hoping into the car and rushing to Risky Reels where the kidnapping was to take place.

After what felt like an eternal drive, she finally arrived at Risky. She parked her car a little ways away from Risky itself, then ran up to the fence to investigate.

Omega and Oblivion were already tying a knocked out Skye up - and Sorona was keeping watch. I quickly turned my earpiece on, "Sorona, I'm here and I see you. Is he here yet?"

Sorona smiled and replied, "Y/n! No, not yet. As soon as I see him I'll let you know. You remember what you gotta do, right?"

"Make sure Midas sees me rescue Skye. Yes, it isn't that difficult, Sorona," Y/n chuckled softly, shaking her head.

"Good. Now - oh, holy shit, he's already here!" Sorona gasped softly.

Y/n's eyes widened and she shot up, the nerves starting to settle in. "Fuck!" Y/n cursed, "are we even ready?!"

"No, but we'll have to make do. Just get in here, fast - he looks angry."

"Roger," Y/n responded. "L/n out." she ticked her earpiece off and watched until Omega, Oblivion, and Sorona were out of sight before she ran into Risky.

Thankfully, Y/n was no stranger to acting during a mission. Walking around innocently towards the concessions, she looked around until she noticed a girl about to be shoved off from the top of the Risky Reels movie screen. She had a knife pressed against her throat, and her hands were bound.

Y/n gasped and immediately ran up the steps, as she heard a voice call out to her, "Hey! Don't run up there, you'll get hurt!" the voice said.

She shrugged it off and ran up the stairs, grabbing her pistol from her pocket. Making her way up to the top, she quickly engaged Omega in fake combat - though to viewers down below, it looked very real.

Skye was rattled and scared, squirming around as she tried to get out of her bonds. Y/n swiftly jumped over Omega's "dead" body and ran over to the young girl, "Are you okay?" she frowned, helping her up.

"Y-yeah... Thank you for getting me out of that," she smiled softly, rubbing her wrists. "Who are you?"

"I'm Y/n," she responded, helping her up. "And you are?"

"Skye, and thank you again," the young girl shifted, presumably from embarrassment that she had to be saved from something so escapable.

"It's no problem. Here, let's get you home," Y/n spoke softly, guiding her down the stairs.

Once they reached the bottom, a man rushed forward to them. "Skye!"

"Boss!" Skye sounded surprised, "What are you doing here?"

"Well, I wasn't going to sit on my ass and let my best agent get captured, now was I?" he chuckled, smiling at her; the worry from earlier gone from his voice and expression.

"Boss, this is Y/n. She saved me," Skye nodded to Y/n, smiling. Y/n thought she was already short, but seeing her stand next to the very, very tall man - whom she already knew was named Midas - made her look even smaller. She chuckled, smiling at them. "It was nothing."

"That was very brave of you," Midas spoke lowly. Y/n took note of his cool, deep voice; with a hint of a faded accent. "I yelled for you to stop but you didn't listen."

"I can take care of myself, thank you," Y/n nodded, "but I appreciate you looking out for me." Y/n turned to Skye, "Does she work for you?"

"Yes. She's my best agent on my team," Midas smiled faintly, motioning for Skye to come over to him. He rest a hand on her shoulder when she did, giving her a quick hug. "I'm glad you're alright."

"I told you I was gonna be fine!" Skye huffed. She had the look, height, and now attitude of a young child. How old was she even, anyway?

"Well, it was nice meeting you both, but I should get going. I'm late for a meeting, I already messed up my timing by coming by for a snack." Y/n smiled at them and turned to leave, when Midas stopped her.

"Wait! Don't leave just yet. I would like to ask you something," Midas said, taking a step closer to her.

She glanced down at his hand and noticed it was fully golden, fading into his pale skin which was painted beautifully with countless tattoos that went all the way up to his neck.

She nodded, relaxing her muscles, "Sure."

"You've got a fire unlike I've seen to help people. You saw Skye was in danger, and immediately rushed to go save her even though she was a complete stranger. My team needs people like you. I would like to invite you to come back with me, so you could possibly join my faction Ghost." Midas smiled to her. Skye grinned and looked between the two excitedly.

Y/n raised a brow, putting her hands in her pockets.

This might be easier than I thought.