Chapter 29 - letting go of the past

Y/n's screams for Midas became distant, as his body grew cold. After everything he went through, he was going to die... just like that.

Until suddenly, his eyes shot open and he sat up quickly, breathing heavily. His eyes were blown wide with fear, panting heavily as he looked around. He slowly sat upright, not recognizing the room he was in.

His breathing was shallow and unsteady, his legs unstable as he clung onto the desk inside the almost pure white room. He brushed his fingers against the papers on the table, and his eyes widened. On the table were top secret files with Midas, Jules, and Lynx's pictures on it. He gulped.

Where the hell am I?

Somehow, he still heard Y/n's faint cries. He turned and saw a computer that was turned on, a familiar video feed playing on it. It was angled towards the Device, with Y/n hunched over Midas' seemingly dead body crying softly.

"Please, God, not like this!" she sobbed, clutching his shirt through his suit tightly, resting her head against his, "Please..."

"Y/n..." he spoke softly, feeling his heart break. God, she really did love him...

His eyes widened when he noticed the screen freeze, black and white static bars rushing up and down the feed as he saw her frozen in place, "Midas?" Her gaze seemed to soften, cupping his cheeks as she let out tiny sobs of anger and shock.

Can she hear me?

Before he could say anything, his vision went white and he was teleported back to the Agency, and immediately the pain from earlier began to rush through his veins again.

He screamed out in agony again and writhed under her touch, and she let out more broken sobs of fear and worry, "Midas! Stay with me, stay with me sweetheart, I'll get a medic.. or anything, just stay with me!"

Just as quickly as he returned, he was brought back to the white office room, and he once again felt no pain. His breathing quickened as he looked over at the computer, which now showed a greater abundance of white and black fuzz over it.

He cursed under his breath, and decided to take his limited time to look around. He picked up his top secret folder and his eyes widened as his hands started to tremble, worrying about what was inside of it.

He opened it, and the folder only had 1's and 0's written across it. He furrowed his brows, not understanding what it meant.

"Midas... it's not your time. Go back home."

Midas froze. He recognized that voice. He slowly set down the folder, and he felt the air leave his lungs.

Standing right in front of him, was Damodice. And holding her hand, was his baby girl Marigold, the both of them looking as beautiful as he remembered.

"D-Damodice? Marigold?" Midas asked softly, tears clouding his eyes as he walked towards them.

"Midas, listen to me," Damodice spoke softly, letting go of Marigold's small hand. "You can't be here yet. It's not your time..."

"But I did it. I got to you both, I can bring you back! I can make things right!" Midas exclaimed, smiling brightly. "Come with me, darling-" Midas went to grab Damodice's hand, and the moment he did his body erupted back into pain, and he was brought back to the Agency.

His body spasmed in unending pain, tears falling from his eyes as the pain became unbearable. He opened his eyes weakly, still seeing Y/n right by his side, though obscured by the circling purple storm.

Words could not describe how horribly his body burned, stung, and bled. The Storm's plague was quickly taking it's toll on his body - and seeing as it enveloped his entire body, Midas took an easy gamble on the fact he simply wasn't going to live much longer.