Chapter 15 - the secret room

Y/n woke up later that morning later than normal, around 9 instead of 7. She had planned to spend the majority of the next two days training for the battle for the Yacht. Initially, the events of yesterday within the Vault completely slipped her mind as she got ready for the day.

She walked downstairs to catch some breakfast, and saw Tina laying across the couch in the kitchen. Y/n waved to her and smiled, getting some food as Tina sat up.

"Did you do it?" she smiled over at her, excited to hear her answer. "Do what?" Y/n turned, looking over. "Look for the room!"

Y/n sighed, she had completely forgotten about that already! "Well..." she grinned, then set down her bowl and turned fully to face her. "Good news and bad news. Good news is, it's real!"

"Are you kidding?!" Tina gasped, super pumped. "Oh my God! What's the bad news?"

"It's locked by a number pad," Y/n frowned. "But, I know the number combo. 2 3 4 6. I just don't know what order to put them in, since it beeps every time someone puts in a failed combo," she explained.

Tina nodded, thinking for a moment, "Try 2364. I've seen Midas use that before," she suggested. Y/n raised a brow, "Wait, really?"

"Yeah! Head back there and try it, that should be it," Tina smiled. "Only one problem with that, though," Y/n crossed her arms. "I cant get into the Vault without permission. It's guarded, remember?"

"I think I can cause a distraction, and turn off the vault camera..." Tina thought for a moment. "Unless you think you shouldn't do it."

Y/n shifted, not knowing how to answer. Her curiosity was getting the better of her, and though she knew it was wrong to invade, she knew it would be fun, too. "You've sold me. Let's do this quick, though. I wanna get in and out," Y/n replied.

For the next few hours, the girls made quick work distracting the Henchmen and short circuiting the cameras so Y/n could slip inside.

Once their plan was set in motion, Tina stationed herself outside the steps down into the vault and pretended to scream.

"Oh my god! Someone's breaking in!" she screamed, then ran away. This caught the attention of the henchmen guarding, and he grumbled in response, running after her.

Y/n waited a moment for him to leave, then snuck down the steps. She made sure the cameras were down, and once she knew they were, swiped the card. The Vault slowly began to open as it did the day before, and Y/n felt the same rush of excitement flow through her.

Part of her was worried this plan would backfire severely, but the other part knew that Tina and her had a backup plan in case things had gone south.

Once inside, she walked over to the panting and took it off the wall. The familiar pad appeared and the screen flickered on, awaiting an input. Y/n took a heavy breath, and put in the numbers. 2 3 6 4.

The screen beeped green and stayed quiet, and the door hissed as it slid open slowly. She gasped, not expecting it to have worked. She immediately regretted her decision, however, when she felt the cold chill hit her skin and the darkness in the hallway slowly start to lighten.

She took a quick glance, looking around the tunnel before trudging through carefully.

I should not be doing this.

The more dark it got, the more curious she grew. Then, suddenly, the door swung shut and she squealed in fear. She turned around and ran back to the door, and banged on it to try and open it.

"No! no, no no- FUCK!" she cursed loudly and banged her fists at the door to try and open it, to no avail.

"Shit!" Y/n groaned, turning around towards the now pitch black hallway with a faint light downwards. Great, a staircase - in pitch black darkness. Clearly, Midas doesn't use this entrance very much if he didn't light it up.

Y/n gulped and slowly made her way down, stepping carefully to make sure she didn't slip.

Quickly, she got down to the bottom and opened the door slowly. The door opened to reveal an almost blindingly lit room that took her breath away. The roof on the large, circular shaped room seemed taller than the Agency did as she took in the beauty of the room. It most certainly belonged to Midas.

"Oh my God," she mumbled lowly, looking around. It looked like a workplace - with a huge, tall circular device in the center of the room. The device had red tubes connected to the bottom parts of it, and it seemed to be turned off. "What the hell is this?"

The room was very grand, and had many papers plastered across the golden brimmed, maroon walls.

She got lost in it's beauty until she heard a door slam. Her eyes widened and she ran towards the golden door that she came through, shutting it carefully and peeping through the two wooden slits to see what was going on.

"I told you, I need 10 more shipments by next month of 5 boxes filled to the BRIM with that energy!" Midas spoke irritably to a man beside him. He stood in front of the device, obstructing Y/n's view for a moment. Not like she minded - he had a great back view.

"S-sir, it's nearly impossible to get that much energy in such a short little time! We have to travel so far to get that energy, that would be almost one full trip from this island to the old-"

"I don't care," Midas fists tightened, then relaxed. "Do whatever it takes, but get them here. I will compensate however much you and your workers need."

"That won't be easy, sir," the man chuckled, "It's extremely-"

"Just take this and go," Midas dropped two solid chunks of gold into his hands, and the employer's eyes widened. "This would be more than enough," he smirked, putting it away. "Pleasure as always doing business with you, Sir."

"The pleasure's all mine," Midas nodded to him and smiled a sly smile as the man walked up a stairwell presumably up to the Agency.

"This is all for you, Damodice... I'll break the Loop and get you back." Midas said lowly, leaning against the railing by the device. He sighed heavily, his head hanging low. "I just... don't know if it's even worth it anymore. Marigold is with you, I know, it's just... I wish you two were here."

As Midas fell silent, she felt her heart break. So he really was still in love with his ex fiancé then, huh? And who the hell was Marigold?

I'm just an Agent in his eyes. Nothing more, Y/n tried to remind herself, but it hurt even more to admit that to herself. Fuck, why did love have to be so hard sometimes?

Midas shook his head and walked up the staircase again, allowing Y/n to sneak out the door again.

Y/n walked over to where Midas was standing, and she felt her heart break even more. The portrait on the desk was of Midas, Damodice, and Marigold. He had a fiancé and a daughter.

She fought back tears as she snuck upstairs using the stairwell, knowing the other way was blocked off.

There's no room in his heart for me.