chapter 37 - the daughter

"Make me proud."

Midas breathing slowed, and his body grew colder by the moment. He could barely make out the faint cries of his lover pleading for him to stay, and could barely feel her shaky hands holding his golden ones tightly.

All too soon, his vision grew pitch black, his feeling gone as he took his final breath.

Until, almost immediately after, he breathed.

Instantly, he shot up and inhaled sharply, breathing in and out heavily. He looked around in a panic, his voice hoarse, "Y/n-?"

He felt small, the surroundings confusing him. He looked at his feet as he stood up slowly, afraid of hurting himself further. But to his surprise, the gunshot wounds he had felt just moments ago were seemingly gone.

He looked down at his shirt, feeling his heart speed up from fear and dread as he saw how bloodstained it was. He grumbled and took off his black vest, dropping it to the floor as he unbuttoned his white undershirt, exposing his chest slightly.

He felt the cold from the golden floor beneath him travel through his body, causing him to shiver.

Aren't I dead? Where am I?

"You're in my mind, Midas," a deep, brooding voice said, tearing Midas from his thoughts. He jumped in surprise and whipped around, looking for the owner of the voice, "Who-"

"You know me," he replied. Behind Midas, he appeared, and Midas turned around to be met face to face with Oro himself.

"O-Oro...? But, but how?" Midas mumbled, looking up at him.

Oro grumbled, walking around Midas slowly in circles as he looked at him, "Some man you are. Hadn't you learned your lesson from Marigold?"

"Don't mention her name," he growled, clutching his fist tightly as he glared up at the pile of bones. "I'll do as I please at my own castle, boy. You're here with me now."

"But how? I'm dead, I died! I was dying!" Midas replied, confused, "Did you... save me?"

"In a way," Oro crossed his arms. "When I gave permission to Chaos Agent to manipulate and use my own golden touch, I had no idea the consequences it would bring. Let alone, that anyone who possessed it, grew connected to my own soul."

Midas felt frozen at his words, "I'm... connected to your soul? How is that even possible?" he asked, completely intrigued by the skeleton king's words.

"Think of it... as a type of horcrux. I'm a horcrux to you, Midas. And her. You cannot die unless the horcrux is destroyed," Oro replied. "So, you are, in a way, immortal. At least, until I die. And I'm afraid that won't be much longer."

"Then why am I here?" Midas asked, looking around at the grand golden castle surrounding them. "I don't understand... I remember dying."

"You are practically dead, at least to them. Right now, you have the choice to go back to your body and live, or stay here as a free spirit until I die and you die with me. The choice is up to you, Midas, but i sincerely suggest going back... It's not looking pretty for them down there," Oro grumbled in response.

Midas eyes' widened and he immediately thought of one thing.

Y/n is in danger.