Chapter 36 - "make me proud."

"NO!" Y/n screamed, sitting up completely out of breath. The silky golden sheets pooling at her lap, strands of h/l h/c hair falling in front of her eyes.

Midas was quick to turn over on his side since he could barely sleep anyway. "Y/n, Y/n, it's okay. You're safe, come here," he sighed heavily, sitting and hugging her tightly. He brought her smaller, shaking body to his chest, resting his hand behind her neck gently.

She began to sob as the memories of 2 weeks ago haunted her mind vividly. Sorona falling limp in her arms, her turning Chaos Agent to gold... It was too much for her to handle at once. She didn't know what to do.

"I just... I c-can't get it out of my head. She was.. she was there, a-and then she-!" her eyes squeezed shut as warm tears fell to her cheeks. Midas frowned and hugged her tighter, shushing her softly, "I know, I know. I know it's hard, I've gone through the same thing too many times to count..." he rubbed back gently.

He remembered the time he lost Marigold, Damodice, when he was taken... when Y/n almost died.

He shuddered in fear but quickly brushed it off, seeing as his emotions weren't of utmost importance at the moment.

"I just want it to go away, I just want it g-gone... I want to forget, please..." her voice was so broken. So defeated. It reminded him of when he was younger, it was almost a mirror image. It was no wonder he was so broken, honestly.

"Sweetheart, listen to me, okay? I know this is hard. But you are so, so strong. You've been there for me, so thank you for letting me be here for you." he moves her away slightly so he can look in her teary eyes, running his hand up and down her arm gently. "Please, know this will pass over, okay?"

"I know," she sniffled, wiping her tears with the back of her hand, "I-It's just hard. I can't even touch you, Midas. I have to wear these damn gloves..." she huffed, holding her hand up.

"Take them off for me, okay? You won't hurt me - you can't. I just want to see how it's going." she gulped and nodded, taking her small leather gloves off and laying them beside them. She showed him her hands - her now solid gold small hands.

The sight still sent chills down her spine. It reminded her of when Midas turned her gold - seeing her body slowly turn golden was something she desperately tried to forget. Now, she was reminded every time she took her gloves off of the curse they both shared.

"Still gold," she mumbled, frowning. Midas turned and switched on the lamp beside him so he could see better. He grumbled as he traced his long golden fingers over her hands, admiring them. "Still as beautiful as they've always been to me," he kissed them gently as Y/n rolled her eyes softly, "Yeah, to you."

"You'll get used to it. You've been doing great these past few weeks, alright? Give yourself more credit."

"That's easy for you to say, Midas. You've lived with this for so long, you can control it. I can't..." she quickly pulled her hands away and reached for her gloves when Midas grabbed them first, "Hey!" she snapped. "Gimme-"

"No, Y/n, you have to learn to control it without the gloves. Relax, take deep breaths, and try and grab this cup."

"I'm still horrible at that, Midas! I almost turned Skye gold yesterday!" she groaned, already beyond frustrated with herself. "Don't get frustrated! I told you this already, when you're unfocused, it's more likely to spread quicker. Calm." He rest his free hand on her cheek, rubbing it gently and she sighed, closing her eyes, "Alright. Give me the cup."

Midas smiled, "That's my girl." he pulled away and leaned back to grab the cup, handing it to her gently. She sighed and took the cup gently in her hands, focusing as hard as she could on keeping her powers to herself.