chapter 11 - a midnight stroll

By the time the squad made their way back to the Agency, it was nightfall. Midas parked their van in their garage close by, then drove the motorboat from the garage to the docking station and helped the ladies out of the boat.

"I don't appreciate unsolicited attitude from my Agents, Skye," Midas said warningly as he helped her out. "You're not my father!" Skye snapped back, storming ahead of everyone.

Midas cursed under his breath and followed her, quickening his pace, "If it wasn't so god damn late and I wasn't so tired your ass would be in my office right now!" he shouted at her.

"Whatever, old man!" Skye retorted, rushing past the henchmen and straight into the building to her room.

"Tina?" Y/n asked as she walked close by TnTina as they headed inside. "Did I do something to upset Skye?"

"No, not to my knowledge," Tina frowned. "I think she's just jealous."

"Jealous? Of what, what did I do?" Y/n asked, confused. "Well," Tina sighed, "of you, I guess. And Midas I could only assume." Tina grabbed her card and flashed it to the henchmen, proving their identity so they could walk in.

"He's basically her dad at this point. He's all she's got left," Tina said as they started to walk downstairs to the bedroom hall. "She's.. protective over what's hers. She might be acting out in jealousy cause she doesn't want to lose him like she lost her dad," Tina chuckled. "The kid's constantly living in a video game. It's no wonder why she's so possessive."

"Is it bad that I feel so horrible, then?" Y/n sighed. "I mean, Midas and I - we're strictly coworkers! There's nothing that's gonna change that. He's my boss and that's final."

"You say that now," Tina smirked, walking to her room and swiping her card over the door. It opened, and she turned to lean on the side of the wall facing Y/n. "You didn't see what we saw earlier." Tina winked and slid into the room, shutting it behind her.

Y/n sighed and decided to quickly retire to her room - she was exhausted and wanted to sleep this day off of her.

Once she got inside, she started undressing into her sleep wear. She set down all of her tools on her desk, when she heard a soft beeping. She furrowed her brows and turned around, looking down to see her shadow com-link beeping.

She bit her lip and debated listening in or not. Ultimately, she went with her gut which was to pick it up and listen. She placed the earpiece in her ear and pressed it once to play the message.

"Y/n. I need to speak with you, and make sure you come alone. Come back to the Shadow base immediately - you know where to find me."

Chaos Agent's voice cut out and Y/n sighed heavily. No matter how bad she wanted to leave Shadow for good, and even though she resigned albeit verbally, she was still a shadow agent, and still had to finish her mission. "I guess I have to go..." she mumbled, shaking her head as she put on more suitable clothes before sneaking downstairs.

Trying her hardest to not alert anyone, she made it almost past the break room when a voice stunned her frozen. "Where are you going so late at night?"

Y/n turned around and saw Midas, and her breath nearly hitched. She wasn't expecting him to be in a white tank top and golden-black clad sweatpants. He held a drink of coffee in his hand, raising a brow at her.

"Midas? What are you doing up so late?" she asked, biting her lip. "Can't sleep just yet. I never got a chance to finish filing paperwork," he responded. "What about you? You should be asleep by now, or at least getting ready for bed."

"I tried sleeping earlier, I just... couldn't," Y/n lied quickly, "So I figured maybe some fresh air would be good for me."

Midas nodded and sat his coffee cup down, "Don't go too far... it's dangerous at night. Let me come with you." Y/n felt her heart quicken at the thought of spending time alone with Midas. She bit her lip and nodded, "If you insist, then okay."