Chapter 14 - admitting to yourself

Y/n looked at Tina flabbergasted. "Why on earth would you think that?!" she hissed, pulling Tina to the side as she set the box of paperwork down.

"Well, he made it very obvious..." she shrugged, "at least with how he spoke. You guys didn't?"

"No!" Y/n sighed, shaking her head. "Yes, I was with him last night and yes I knocked out in his room, but we didn't do anything! We were working!"

"Okay, okay, chill!" Tina laughed, amused by how defensive she was being. "Look, you don't gotta hide it from me. I know you like him."

"I-I don't?" Y/n responded, though her statement ended up sounding more like a question than a reply.

"You do. You don't have to hide your feelings from me, okay?" Tina pat her shoulder gently, "It's so obvious that you like him, too."

Y/n remained silent, which gave Tina the answer. She smirked and nudged her teasingly and giggled, "Called it."

"I guess," she sighed. Nothings going to happen, though. He told us that our relationship was strictly professional. And plus... there's someone else."

Y/n truly felt sad now, finally admitting to herself that she liked Midas and realizing further that the possibility of him still being in love with that girl was very high.

"There's someone else?" Tina's eyes widened. "You mean to tell me, the entire time Boss has been secretive about his personal life, he's been banging someone behind the scenes?"

"Tina!" Y/n hissed, regretting saying that. "That stays between you and me, alright? If Midas found out I told you, he'd kill me!"

"Well, alright," Tina frowned, leaning against the wall. "But you gotta give me deets. He's so closed off I literally can't imagine him with anyone, but I can imagine him with you perfectly."

"I really don't know much. I know they were engaged and then she... uhm," Y/n froze, "...broke up with him."

In a way. I mean, hey, I'm not lying.

"So he's single!"

"But I don't know if he's over her!" Y/n frowned. "That's why I'm ignoring my feelings. It's stupid to peruse someone who's unreadable like that. He seemed so heartbroken talking about her, so it's obvious he'd date her again if he could." Y/n sighed and looked down, "I'm just an Agent in his eyes. And even if I wanted to be more than just an agent, he'd look at me and still think of her."

"When you put it like that..." Tina frowned, feeling guilty for pushing so much. "I'm sorry, Y/n/n. That really does suck," she sighs, fixing her hair. "Well... whatever happens, know I'm here for you with whatever you need."

"Thanks, Tina," Y/n sighed softly and hugged her tightly. "I appreciate it a lot. Now I gotta talk to Rook and drop this paperwork off," she bent over to pick the box up, setting it on her thigh to hold it up.

"I won't keep you, but Rook isn't here today. Just put it in the vault." Tina smiled. "Hey, while you're in there, look for a hidden room. I heard rumors of that and I'm curious. No one's ever gone in there before besides Midas and a few others, so nobody can confirm it."

"A hidden room, huh?" Y/n shook her head and laughed, "As if. See you later, Tina." At that the two girls walked away, and Y/n made her way to the vault.

She eventually made her way to it, and set the box down. "Shouldn't there be a henchmen guarding this thing?" she mumbled to herself and reached into her pocket to grab her card. She took it out and scanned it over the scanner, and it blinked blue, allowing her access.

The Vault's hatch hissed and it very slowly opened, and Y/n felt a rush of excitement flow through her. "I cant believe he's trusting me with this..."

Snoop around for Shadow.

She immediately shook away those thoughts and grabbed the box again, walking inside once she could slip inside. The vault interior was huge - and had so many chests and footlockers that there was bound to be secrets laying about.

But Y/n pushed her curiosity to the side and set the box down, beginning to take the paperwork out. She opened the file cabinet and began to place the files in each agent's individual folder. The process was long, and her mind eventually began to wander.

"Look for a hidden room," Tina's voice replayed inside her head. She bummed once she put the final file away and thought for a moment.

Fuck it.

She began to examine the room for anything that looked out of place. Hitting the walls, she listened for any sign of a hollow window to climb through. Just when she was about to give up, she noticed a peculiarly stationed painting adorning the back wall. She bit her lip and pressed her ear to it, and heard a faint whooshing sound from under it.

Her eyes widened and she instantly knew that was the hidden room. She carefully took down the panting and saw another vault like door blocking the way through, with a number pad attached.

She thought for a moment, trying to see if she could guess a code. She took notice of how the only worn down keys were the numbers 6, 3, 2, and 4.

She decided to put in the numbers 2 3 4 6 and it beeped loudly, and she immediately backed up.

"INVALID CODE," the screen read. She cursed under her breath and decided to put the panting back up and leave. She had no business being there, anyway.

Grabbing the box, she turned to leave and had noticed the Henchmen was already there. He turned around and nodded to her, "Have a good day, Agent L/n."

"You too, sir," she smiled and walked out, swiping the card again to close and secure the vault. She put her card away and began to walk out, remembering the code.

I have to figure out that code somehow from Midas. No matter who's side I'm on, I need to make sure Midas truly isn't planning something deadly like Chaos said, she thought to herself.

She walked up to her room and sat down at her desk, taking out a pencil and paper and writing down a series of combos. The list seemed to go on forever, and it wore Y/n out quickly. She groaned from all the thinking and set her pencil down.

"Fuck it, I'm giving up. Those might not even be the right numbers!" she leaned back in her desk and the lack of sleep from the past few nights slowly began to catch up to her. She began to drift off into sleep, resting her head on her desk.