Chapter 22 - tormented by the nightmares

Eventually, Y/n found her way out. She escaped the bunker where she was being held and immediately recognized the mountain range as being outside of Retail Row, close by the Box Factory and  by the Shadow HQ.

It was very, very late at night by the time she had escaped. She limped softly from being forced to sit down for so long, looking around at the seemingly endless mountains that seemed to glow from the moonlight. She trudged forward, rubbing her wrists on occasion from them being so sore.

She sighed, knowing that if she was by Retail, it would be a hell of a long walk to the Agency. Part of her wanted to give up and sleep in a literal box, but the other part of her knew that she would be sealing her death if someone found her.

She had to remind herself that she had a very, very high bounty on her head. She was a walking target, and being alone at night wasn't helping he situation.

The winds began to pick up, and Y/n cursed at herself for wearing short sleeves. In her defense, it was hot over by Sweaty during the day and the last thing she had expected was to get kidnapped. So obviously, she wouldn't've thought to bring a jacket.

She walked up one of the many hillsides by the Box Factory and sat down, overlooking the island. She brought her knees to her chest and wrapped her arms around them, resting her chin on her knees as she looked down at the island that seemed to continue for miles and miles.

She felt a twinge of sadness looking out at the moonlit island, mulling over the memories of what Sorona had said hours before to her.

The thought of being killed by her lover almost made her gag, covering her mouth with her hand as she winced. Midas could never be capable of killing anyone.

Well, he did kill his daughter...

But that was a mistake!

What about the bounty? What if he is gonna collect the bounty by killing me?

"S-stop," Y/n spoke faintly, her breathing getting heavier. "I can't think like that."

She sighed heavily and tried to ease her mind, "I'll see Midas again, and everything will be okay." She began to imagine what it would be like to see him again - and a very faint smile toyed with her lips.

"You're lying to me. You lied to me this entire time..." I heard his cold, darkened voice say lowly. "You were sent to kill me."

"Thats not true-!" I stammered. "Midas, that's not true! I love you!"

"You're lying!" Midas sneered at me, "You were lying from the start. This was all a ploy for Shadow. You're with them! They brought you here to kill me!"

"Midas, no-!" Midas walked forward to me and grabbed my arms, pulling me right to his chest. I heard a click as his hand moved towards his holsters, "If you had been honest, this wouldn't be happening."

"M-Midas, please..." I squealed, trying to run away but his grip tightened. He quickly pulled his golden pistol to my head and I screamed, slamming my eyes shut tightly as I tried to run away. "You brought this upon yourself," he cocked the gun.

"Do you even realize how much you're worth?" Midas spoke softly, stroking my hair as I fought back loud whimpers of fear. "That bounty on your head is so, so valuable... it would be enough to finish The Device."

"P-please, Midas... I love you! Don't do this!" I looked up at him with tears streaming down my cheeks. He only smirked as his golden eye began to glow, and he pressed the pistol further to my head. He teased his finger at the trigger, "You know... I thought I loved you, too. But I realized that I couldn't love someone like you. A liar. A user. You're expendable, that's all you are to me. Expendable."

And with that, my vision began to blur. I felt cold and numb and in pain. So. Much. Pain. I let out a loud sob as my final sight began to fade out of view, a solid gold Midas smirking as my body fell limp.

"NO!" Y/n screamed at the top of her lungs, immediately sitting up and panting heavily. She gripped the grass beside her tightly and started sobbing uncontrollably, shaking as her dream haunted her over and over.

The sight of Midas killing her so mercilessly sent chills down her spine, it made her fear for her life. She sobbed loudly and hid her face in her hands, the cold adding to her shivering as she cried for God knew how long.

"I-I can't fucking do this," she whimpered, her head pounding from how loudly she was crying. "I-I can't keep lying to him, I can't... I-I need him."

She knew now she couldn't keep her secret a secret for much longer. Not only were both their lives at stake, she knew it was the right thing to do. And not knowing what his reaction was scared her to absolute death.

After what felt like an eternity of crying, she felt a warm hand on her shoulder. She screamed and flinched away, "PL-PLEASE DONT-"

"Meow!" Meowscles meowed softly. She gasped and turned around, feeling a lot more safe knowing one of her friends was there.

"M-Mew Mew!" she spoke softly, immediately turning and hugging him tightly. The muscular cat purred and hugged her tightly, letting her cry some more. He pet her hair gently and continued to purr words of encouragement towards her, even though he knew she wouldn't understand most of it due to her earpiece falling out at Sweaty.

"I-I'm sorry. I was just so scared. I'm being hunted, Mew Mew," Y/n sighed, her breath shaky as she tried to calm herself down more. Meowscles hissed in response, his grip tightening, "Reowrr!"

"I... can't understand you, Meowscles. My headpiece is broken..." Y/n frowned, yet she was starting to feel better after being comforted. "But wait, what are you doing here?"

"Meow. Meow, reawrrr..." Mew Mew frowned, then his eyes narrowed as to remind her of the Yacht.. "Forgot about that..." she frowned. "I hope they fix the Yacht quicker for your sake, this Factory doesn't look the most hospitable."

"Meow, mew!" Meowscles helped her up and guided her inside. He quickly grabbed one of his blankets and broke down some of the boxes to make her a make shift bed. Y/n smiled and ran over to hug her furry friend, "Thank you, Mew Mew... I love it. Totally beats laying out in the cold," she grinned.

She laid down on her bed and sighed softly, pulling the very warm covers over her. She hummed in satisfaction, the covers and the nice warm factory aiding to calming her down further. Meowscles soon joined her and curled up on her feet, purring softly before the two of them drifted off to sleep.

Though Y/n was still very much afraid of seeing Midas again, the love she felt for him helped calm her mind about it.

Yes, he'll be mad. But he truly loves me. He would never lay a finger on me. He'd never kill me. He'll protect me, and I won't die. My time on this earth isn't limited.

If only she had believed everything she was trying to convince herself, though.

Elsewhere, Sorona was talking with Chaos Agent, who was still furious over their loss of the Yacht.

"He is going to pay for ruining me further," Chaos growled. "I gave him everything, I gave him the life he has now and this is how he repays me? By trying to murder me?" he slammed his fists on the table, making Sorona jump softly.

"Sir, if I may suggest something... Midas and Y/n both have very strong romantic feelings for each other. If we want Midas to pay, I suggest targeting Y/n, and vice versa. She already has that bounty on her head... So Midas will be preoccupied with making sure she's safe," Sorona replied.

Chaos nodded, his face of black sludge emotionless as he paced back and forth, "Perfect. We plan an attack tomorrow. Midas will regret ever raging war with me, and that girl will regret ever leaving us. She'll pay with it with her life."