Chapter 27 - prepare the device

Y/n tried to run as far as she could away from the Agency and Midas, but ultimately failed as her legs buckled and she fell down, crying out in pain as she almost had twisted her ankle.

She whimpered and slowly sat up, clutching her now bleeding knee as she rocked herself slowly, seemingly endless spurts of tears continuing to wreck her body.

Her open wound on her knee slowly began to sting as the grass below her irritated it, but she didn't care. All she could focus on was how horrible she felt for all that had happened today.

If she was just truthful from the start, maybe this wouldn't've happened.

She sat there and cried for what felt like ages before she heard footsteps behind her, and a pair of arms wrapped around her from behind.

Still shaken from before, she screamed and tried to run away, when the woman shushed her gently, "Hey, hey. It's me, it's okay, Y/n," Maya frowned, moving to kneel down in front of her, resting her hands on the sides of her shoulders.

Y/n sniffled and looked down, ashamed to look Maya in the eyes, "I-I'm sorry..."

"You don't have to apologize for anything, you didn't do anything wrong," Maya sighed, pulling her into a tight hug which Y/n immediately returned, tears flooding her eyes again.

The loud whirring of a chopper could be heard from behind them, and Maya lifted her head up to look behind them.

Meowscles had just landed their chopper, and he mewed from inside of it, waving. Maya smiled at him softly and reached into her back pocket, handing Y/n a small white device.

"Hey, I've got something for you. You dropped it during the fighting - figured you might want it back." Y/n laid out her shaky hand and she took it gingerly. "Now you can actually understand Meowscles."

Y/n nodded softly and put the earpiece back in, sighing softly as Maya helped her up, "We're headed to the Shark right now... it's the safest place on the island right now. Obviously, something happened, so tell me about it on the way, okay?" Maya said softly, walking Y/n to the chopper and rubbing her back gently.

Meowscles helped pull them into the chopper, and smiled when he saw Y/n, but his smile faded quickly when he saw just how horrible she looked.

"Woah - why is your neck and chest golden?" Meowscles asked, his eyes widened. Y/n looked up in confusion at him, not used to hearing English from the cat. She reminded herself it was the earpiece and looked down, gulping.

"I-I.. I've lied to you guys. I'm sorry," Y/n croaked our softly, her voice still shaky, "I'm so fucking sorry."

"What? What do you mean?" Meowscles sat back down and started the chopper again, lifting off towards the Shark. Maya continued to rub up and down her arm gently to comfort her.

"When I first came to the Agency, I was... with S-Shadow," she sighed heavily, looking down. "It was an undercover mission. But I hated it. And when I realized how much better Ghost was, and how wrong Shadow was, I immediately left them. And now Chaos Agent wants me and Midas both dead for it, and everyone else on Ghost." Y/n was crying again, the guilt becoming overwhelming again.

"Y/n..." Maya sighed, hugging her tightly, "I don't care about that. We don't care about that, okay? You're Ghost now, right? That's all that matters in the end. You're fighting with the good guys now," Maya smiled softly. "But that doesn't answer... that." Maya pointed to the gold on her neck, which by now had covered her breasts as well and started spreading down her stomach.

Y/n looked down and sighed, wiping her tears away before talking again, "I blew it. I fucking blew it. Midas hates me now, and I can't do anything about it. He said he wished I was dead." Her voice ended up cracking as she remembered his painful words.