Chapter 18 - the morning after

Y/n slept soundly onto the morning. Slowly, she woke, the light shining through the blinds onto her skin. She shifted to try and block out the light, wanting more sleep.

She groaned in frustration when she couldn't sleep more, sighing and sitting up slowly. Her head was absolutely throbbing, a consequence of her heavy drinking from the night prior. The night was mainly a blur for her, and she frowned.

Her eyes narrowed in confusion as she looked around, not recognizing the room at first. She gasped when she realized it was Midas' room, pulling the covers over her more.

Her heart began to pound as she realized she was naked in his bed, and with a raging hangover. The memories of the night's endeavors played in her head and caused her cheeks to heat up more.

I slept with my boss last night. Holy shit, what have I done?

"Morning," Midas spoke softly. He was walking in from the bathroom with a towel wrapped lowly around his waist. Her breath hitched as she shifted more, biting her lip.

His hair was soaking wet, sticking to his forehead. His very prominent v-line was showing off from the lowness of the towel. He ran his golden fingers through his hair, ruffling it up more as he walked over and sat on his bed.

He smiled at her, "Sleep well? Or should I get you some pain meds for that hangover?"

"That would be great, thanks," Y/n replied shyly, fixing her loose strands of hair.

He nodded and stood up, disappearing into his bathroom to get her pain meds.

After a minute, he came back into the room and handed her the pills and a glass of water.

She took them and mumbled a soft thank you, taking the pills and gulping down the water, wincing.

Midas watched her, staying silent before clearing his throat after a minute, "I guess we should discuss the obvious?"

"Yeah," Y/n sighed, scratching the back of her neck. "I guess we should," she replied, her cheeks heating up again from being so flustered.

"Do you regret it?" she asked first. Midas shifted, shaking his head no. "No. Not at all. I know I should, but I don't. After all, I was the one who told you were we employees. Nothing more." he frowned when he realized how silent she was, "Do you?"

He was afraid to hear her answer, but was washed over with endless relief when she shook her head no. "I wish we did it when we were sober. We should've been smarter about this." She buried her head in her hands and sighed deeply, "I'm sorry."

"Why are you sorry, Y/n?" Midas frowned, resting his hand on her arm gently, running his fingers up and down her skin slowly.

"You told me that our relationship was strictly business. And yet, I still told myself I had a shot. I still told myself you could like me back somehow, and kept pushing it," she started to say, looking down. "I should've respected that you might still love that girl."

"Who?" Midas narrowed his eyes, "Damodice?"

"Is that her name?" Y/n looked even sadder than before. "That girl you wanted to buy that cabin with?"

He nodded. "Yes, I was engaged to her. We had a daughter, too. I've moved on, though."

"Right.... daughter." She was reminded of the family portrait as her heart hurt even more. What more could he say to make this shit worse?

"Had," Midas sighed, standing up and walking to his desk. He grabbed a photo of him and Damodice, along with a smaller picture of a little girl with golden blonde hair in pigtails.

He handed her the picture and Midas sat down beside her. Damodice had her arms wrapped around Midas and she was kissing his cheek. He looked much younger than he did now - the scar was missing from his face, and both golden eyes were gleaming with happiness. His neck had no tattoos yet, and his hair was down to his shoulders in length. He had small amounts of stubble, but still looked just as sexy as he did now.

Damodice had long black hair set apart in two braids. She had a golden nose ring and matching earrings and dark hazel eyes. She looked beautiful - and perfect for him. Y/n felt a pain of insecurity - she looked nothing like her. She had tons of tattoos much like Midas did now - maybe that was where Midas got his inspiration from.

In the bottom left corner, Midas had slid a picture of his daughter. Somehow, though both her parents had black hair, she had golden blonde hair and the same golden eyes as her father. Her pale skin was freckled, and she looked happy. And most importantly, alive.

"What happened to them?" Y/n was almost afraid to know. If she dated Midas, would she have to be a mother to his daughter?

"Damodice was killed," Midas sighed, "And it was my fault Marigold died."

"She died?"

"You know of my golden touch," he began. "I've been able to control it better since I was a teenager, but after Damodice died I could barely control my anger. I had to raise Marigold for 9 years by myself," he explained. "It was hard... but it was so worth it. She was my little angel, and kept me grounded. Everything was fine until she accidentally ran off. She went outside without telling me, and I couldn't find her. And for the first time in years, I completely lost it."

His voice grew cold and he looked down in shame. God, he looked as if he were about to cry...

"I found her... and I grabbed her arm and yelled at her to not run off like that. But by the time I realized what I did, she already started to turn to gold." he let out a heavy sigh and looked down at his fingers, "It's been 4 years and I still can see her frightened face as clear as ever."

Y/n felt frozen. She couldn't think of any words of comfort to say to him, she couldn't think of a way to make the situation less dire. "I... Midas," she sighed, biting her lip. "I'm so sorry... I don't even know what to say."

"You don't have to say anything," he looked over at her sadly. "I know it was my fault. I miss her, but there's nothing I could do. I went crazy to try and find ways to bring them back, but I realized now that I have to let good the past..." Midas moved his hand and held hers, gently squeezing it. "Thanks to you."

"Me?" Y/n blushed, "What did I have to do with any of this?"

"You showed me it's okay to move on. To let go of the past, and to be a better person," Midas explained. "Thank you for showing me how to love again," he said softly.

"L-Love again?" she stammered, and her hands began to tremble. "A-Are you trying to tell me you-"

"Yes, Y/n," Midas chuckled, shaking his head softly and smiling. "I love you."

She bit her lip and her eyed moved from his eyes to his lips, and immediately she wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him to her, kissing him deeply.

He closed his eyes and moved his hands down her still naked body slowly, resting them on her hipbones as he stroked them in circles slowly.

She hummed softly and ran her fingers through his hair, deepening the kiss until they had to pull away for air.

She giggles and rest her head on his bare chest as he pulled her into a hug, kissing her forehead softly.

"I love you more, Midas..." she looked up at him and smiled.

He grinned and stroked her hair gently, looking down at her, "So I'm guessing this wasn't a one time thing?"

"God, I hope not," Y/n laughed, pecking his lips gently. "I'm not letting someone as good as you get away that easily."

"So, in that case..." Midas moved back and held her hand, kissing it gently as he massaged her fingers with his, "Y/n L/n, will you be my girlfriend?"

"I'd be honored," Y/n grinned and kissed him again.

Finally, Midas felt a wave of peace and happiness wash over him that he hadn't felt in a long time. As much as he didnt went to admit it, Midas had never felt happier since the day his daughter was born. But that was the past, and this was now. And now, in this moment, Midas wouldn't give it up for anything.