Chapter 26

Yu Xiaogang did not sleep for the whole night and just sat still like a statue made of stone and gazed at the stars. Memories of his wedding with Erlong kept playing in his mind.

The whole night passed in an instant, and before Yu Xiaogang noticed, the sun was already shining high in the sky.

Yu Yan woke up after feeling the rays of sunlight on her face; she stood up and lazily stretched her body. She yawned and seemed to be looking around to find her father. The little girl walked out of the cave with a slightly uneasy expression on her face after failing to find him.

Yu Yan felt relieved after seeing him on a stone outside the cave's entrance, yet her heart tensed up a bit after seeing her father sitting still like a statue with his eyes open and face gazing at the sun.

" Father! Father! "

Yu Yan worriedly called out a few times.

Yu Xiaogang, who's mind was stuck in a single memory, did not feel the passage of time. He suddenly snapped back to reality and couldn't help but suck a cold breath after thinking that he had almost slumped under his heart demon.

His journey had been too smooth after obtaining the black pearl, although Yu Xiaogang was not worried about his foundation being unstable, yet today he found the flaw in his mind.

" Un. "

Yu Xiaogang turned his head and nodded gratefully to his daughter. He jumped down from the stone and stood in front of the little girl; he rubbed her little head and gestured her to follow. Both of them walked for a few minutes before stopping in front of a small lake.

Yu Yan turned her little head towards him, and her face showed a questioning look. Yu Xiaogang laughed after looking at her cute face and couldn't help himself and extended his right hand to pinch her adorable cheeks.

" Humph! "

Yu Yan couldn't escape and could only puff her little face to show her dissatisfaction.

Yu Xiaogang stopped after looking at her angry appearance and turned his face to look towards the lake and jumped into the water to catch a few fishes for their breakfast.

After having a healthy feast, both of them continued the journey. Yu Xiaogang could have used his third spirit ability and reached the city today itself, but it would have destroyed his plan to temper his daughter's mind.

They walked for the rest of the day composedly without any obstruction. It was quite the opposite of the rest of their distance which, both of them had already traveled.

After a tiring day of walking, they stopped and rested in the inn of a small village, which they happened to see after crossing the forest.

Although the village was small and there was only one lodge present, yet it was way better than sleeping in a cave in the forest. Yu Yan almost slept the instant she jumped on to her bed.

Yu Xiaogang did not sleep; instead, he sat on the bed and started meditating. The night passed quickly, and as the sun rose, he opened his eyes, and a bright light flashed. If anyone were to look at Yu Xiaogang's eyes at the moment, they would have seen a purple-golden radiance.

Yu Xiaogang felt refreshed after meditating for the whole night. He looked towards the sleeping little girl and thought to himself, " It seems that traveling for such a long time had exhausted her mentally. "

He continued to sit on his position and did not wake up the little girl. Yu Xiaogang let her rest for a little longer anyway; they would still reach the city today even after they start walking late.

He closed his eyes and started meditating again, and not much time had passed before he heard the Little Yan's voice and woke up from his meditation.

" How are you feeling? Did you rest well? "

Yu Xiaogang asked his daughter. Although his tone was plain and face carried a smile, yet there was still a trace of worry in his heart.

" Un! "

Yu Yan nodded, and there was a brilliant smile blooming on her face. Apparently, sleeping on a proper bed last night had washed away all of her mental fatigue.

Yu Xiaogang's body also relaxed after seeing the smile on her face. He then regained his composure and told her, " Okay, Yan'er. Quickly freshen up, we have to leave this inn as soon as possible. "

Yu Yan solemnly nodded and swiftly rushed into the bathroom to and returned after taking a quick shower, and by the time she came out, Yu Xiaogang had already prepared the breakfast for her and himself.

Yu Xiaogang and Yu Yan ate the porridge in silence both the father and daughter had become accustomed to eating in quietness. It was one of the joys that both of them shared.

Yu Xiaogang and Little Yan left the lodge after paying for their stay and continued the journey. They had already crossed the most difficult part of the route, and as they reached closer to the city, a solid road made of stones appeared, indicating that Heaven Dou City was not far from them.

The duo walked on the road for an hour before a huge city was visible in their eyes, and although there was still some distance left before they actually enter the city.

Heaven Dou City, as the capital of the most influential empire, was one of the most flourishing cities on the continent. Even from such a distance, one could see the empire's flag fluttering on the top of the capital. The city walls were as huge as a hundred meters tall and were made of the hardest rock.

After a few minutes, Yu Xiaogang and Yu Yan reached near the entrance of the city and saw two rows of soldiers with pikes in their hands patrolling the city walls both on the ground and top of the wall.

Yu Yan's eyes flashed, and an excited expression appeared on her face. Even after all the tempering and learning, she was just a six-year-old child. How could she not be attracted to the majestic city?

A soldier stepped forward after seeing Yu Xiaogang and Yu Yan approaching the city gate, and he expressionlessly pointed towards the smaller secondary gates on the side for travelers like them. Although the secondary gate was small, yet it was still more than five meters tall.

The soldier accompanied both of them to the gate and left after completing his task. As the capital of the empire, the security of the city was bound to be strict as compared to the other cities.

As soon as they stepped in the gate, two guards standing on the other side carefully looked at them for a few moments before allowing Yu Xiaogang and Yu Yan to enter the city.

Yu Xiaogang's expression remained the same as before entering the city; he was not at all affected by the grandiose structure and the bustling crowd of the city; instead, there were little stars in Yu Yan's eyes as she excitedly looked back and forth.

Note - For early access to the next chapters, visit P.A.T.R.E.O.N- Franknoble.