What to wear. Part 34

"Hi, is something wrong?" Lyla asked, "why do we have this urgent meeting?"

"I"ve won the competition and I don't know what to wear!" I cried.

"You must be joking, you have won a writing competition and the only thing that you worry about is what to wear?"

"I've got to dress up and as you know, all the shops are closed because of the lockdown."

"Girl, you always look gorgeous in your black pants and that pink top, do some light makeup and use that magnificent smile of yours," Lyla laughed.

My phone beeped with a text:  "don't worry about a dress, my mom found a piece of plum satin and she is adamant to make you a dress, I just have to take your measurements."  Beth.

Lyla smiled at me when I read the text to her, "there you are, problem solved, what's nice about it, is that it will be tailor-made, you are so lucky, you have an amazing sister."

"I know, I thought my brother always came through for me, but since Beth came into my life it only multiplied.  I'm blessed, not only with family but also with a dear friend and her brother."  I wanted to say, gorgeous brother, luckily I realized that it would be too obvious before the words slipped my mouth.  For a fleeting second, I remember my dream.  Is that what it meant?

"Awe that's so kind of you, and you are a great friend too and Theo agrees."  His face appears next to Lyla's, with a big smile plastered on it:  "I'm so looking forward to that dancing lessons."

"You're joking!"  I cried.  My heart bouncing in my throat with excitement.  I can feel the warmth creeping up into my neck.  The vision of me in his arms is getting at me.

"I love to see you blushing, you look so cute, and congrats on the competition,"  he mocked me, then when I least expected it, his eyes met mine and held it, and I couldn't look away.

"What is that!"  Lyla cried, is my best friend falling for my brother?"

"No!"  His answer came quick and harsh and it speared my heart.

"I'm sorry I have to leave, Beth is here to take my measurements, enjoy your day, both of you."  I just had to get out of that conversation.  It was killing me.  I sighed at the blank screen of my laptop, I gave myself away in a really bad way.  I better not overthink this.  As if on cue, Beth walked in with a measuring tape.

I smiled at her, but she, being Beth immediately noticed that something was wrong.

"Tell me what's wrong, mom is very good at dressmaking, she made my prom dress."

"No, it has nothing to do with the dress, I'm really happy that your mom is prepared to do that for me, I made a fool of myself?"

"You did?  Trust me I do it at least once a day.  Put it behind you and enjoy the moment or you can tell me if you want to talk about it.  Let me guess, it's Theo."

"Only you would guess that right."

"Well if you're in love with him, and even I noticed the signs, then it certainly won't be the last time."

"Well, he said: No! and it shattered my heart."

"What were your words before he said no?"

"Nothing, it was Lyla that asked if I was falling for him."

"Why did she asked you that?"

"We stared at each other," I fumbled over my own words.

"Oh, that famous stare that showed everyone from the start about the connection between you.  In my opinion, if it's worth anything: he realized what's happening and went immediately into denial."

"No comfort in that, I'm just a stupid teenage girl falling in love with a guy who is already taken," I couldn't hide the tears in my voice.  She hugged me and held me as the tears ran down my face.