Friends Part 4

I couldn't believe what happened, I sat there in a daze.  I could tell something is wrong when my friends Myra and Barbara talked silently to each other.  I always felt awkward when they did that, but I would never dream they would pull such a stunt on me.  Here I sit all alone with a big lump in my throat, they can run and I can't, maybe it is too much to ask them to be my friends.

Though I would never have thought they would run off like that, not even saying a word to me.  It hurts, it hurts so badly, what should I do?  Maybe I don't deserve to have any friends, just like I don't deserve to go shopping with my mom.

A soft hand on my shoulder made the tears sprung from my eyes.  "I saw that, they don't deserve a friend like you, please don't cry."  I looked up, Lyla was standing next to me.  Lyla with the artificial leg, I have never heard her voice before.  She is a lonely girl, always sitting alone with a book and never speaks to anyone.

"That is kind of you, but maybe they are right, maybe I don't deserve their friendship, maybe I should just keep to myself then nobody can hurt me."

"It's pretty lonely in that way,"  Lyla said and I could see the hurt in her eyes.

"Why can't we be friends, I would like to be your friend, will you be my friend?"  Her eyes lit up and her mouth formed a beautiful smile and I couldn't help but smile too.

"It will be my privilege to be your friend and I would love us to become best friends, you have such a beautiful smile.  I would love to see it every day." 

Since that day we were best friends, Lyla and I and I don't regret it for a minute.  She has such a kind personality, I think people that don't know her are missing out on it.

We did everything we could together, studying eating and luckily for us, we even ended up in the same dorm.

Now that is about to change because we were the whole week together, we never visited each other at home.   Mom wants me to do homeschooling and I invited Lyla to visit me at home.  

I can't wait to see her again, the school holiday is not over yet.  I missed her and want to figure out how and where we should get together when school starts again.

I saw their car at the gate and opened the gate with the remote, then I wheeled myself to the front door to open it.  Lyla's face lit up when she saw me.  "Mom this is my best friend Inola," she cries over her shoulder as she gave me a hug.

"Hello Inola, it's nice to meet you."  Her mom's tone was friendly and she smiled at me.  "What time can I be back to pick her up?"

"My mom asked if she could dine with us, will eight o'clock be okay?"

"Yes that will suit me fine, you two must enjoy yourselves, have fun.  I'll see you later," she said as she turned around and left for her car.