Lockdown Part 24

"Why did she call him Oscar?"  Beth asked before she started on her pizza. 

"She said she thought him to be so clever to hide in that piece of discarded drainpipe he deserved an Oscar.  So that's why she decided his name should be Oscar."

"How is Theo doing with the wheelchair trays?"

"He said he will be able to deliver them this weekend, I think we are still waiting for one or two payments, but even if they don't pay before the weekend, he will deliver the rest."

"Good, I'm glad because there are another twenty orders," she said as she shoved an envelope toward me.

"Wow!  You don't play, do you?"

"Did you hear about the virus?  The government is looking at a total lockdown.  I thought if he can get the measurements before they implement it, he can carry on with his business during the lockdown."

"Is the COVID 19 that serious?  I heard it started in China, but it is spreading across the world.  Are there any cases here in New Zealand?"

"I'm not sure, but the Prime Minister said she will keep us informed."

"So that will be wise to get it to him as quickly as possible then he can take the measurements as soon as he can."

"Speaking of that, he can take the measurements on Monday or Tuesday.  Miss Jones said the last period will suit her fine."

"That's good I will send him a message and give the orders to Lyla tomorrow afternoon."

"You don't want to give it to him in person on Saturday?  What happened?"

"I just want to go slow on the personal contact, I think I'm kind of jealous when I see him with Kim."

"I'm sorry, I thought he and Kim weren't that serious?"

"I think I hoped that too but I'm just feeling a pang in my tummy each time they kiss. I think Kim noticed that too, she always looks at me as if to say: He is mine after they kissed.  I think I have to be content to only being his personal assistant."

"Don't be too hard on yourself, you are a remarkable person and things can change, just keep up the good work.  You are doing great."

"I feel stupid and selfish."

"I'll bring you my Granny's Diary to read, then you might see how rapidly things can change, by just being who you are."

"Thank you, I will like to read that, talking of Granny's I think I must talk to Mom and Dad, I don't want my Granny to be alone in lockdown.  It will be much better for all of us if she can stay with us till the lockdown is over."

"She will be much safer and you will be able to take care of her without breaking your bubble.  I don't think the homes are safe.  There are too many of the older people that visit friends or family overseas."

"I'll make a point of talking to Mom and Dad first thing when they arrive home tonight, I hope they will go and fetch her tonight. I'll stress to them how urgent it is."  

"I hope you will be successful, she will be grateful for that, thanks for the pizza and the tea, see you tomorrow."

"Bye and don't forget the diary,"  I said as I waved her goodbye at the door.