My Birthday Part 17

It's my birthday, the seventh of March and I'm so excited.  My Nanna arrived last night and we chatted right through until twelve, then she shoved me off to bed for my beauty sleep.  She was adamant that I should look the best I can for my seventeenth birthday, but not before I helped her to create her own Wattpad account to enable her to read my book.

That was our special moment when she saw my book and she said that she was going to read it before she is going to sleep.  I kissed her goodnight and left her alone with my book.  She told me this morning that she enjoyed it so much and can't wait to read the next chapter.  She told me that she is so proud of me.

I'm dressed in my light yellow dress and my dark brown hair cascades over my shoulders emphasizing my almond-colored eyes as I looked in the mirror.  I feel good about myself and excited when I heard the doorbell.  I wheeled myself to the door to welcome my guests.

"Happy birthday to you!"  Lyla cried and kissed me as she gave me a hug.  Then she introduced me to a tall boy with straw-colored hair and bright blue eyes.  "Dave this is my best friend Inola," she said.  He nodded at me and said; "Please to meet you, and enjoy your birthday." 

 "Happy birthday, Theo said with a smile and a nod, with their parents following them with the same greetings.  I wheeled myself to the pool area where my parents are busy starting the barbeque.  The big outside table is laid with all sorts of food and a beautifully decorated cake sporting a big seventeen in the center with seventeen candles.

I made sure that everyone is comfortably seated and was just about to settle down when James and his friends arrived.  Each of them gave me a nice present with a hug and a kiss and their best wishes for my birthday.  Flushed from all the attention I was really glad to join my group of friends.

"When did you receive your prosthesis, Dave?"  Theo asked when I joined them.

"Only yesterday, it is all new to me, I think I'll have to sit down with the instructions and practice them before I try to use it. I'm kind of scared that I might drop something or push it over because I'm not used to it."

"Maybe you should practice a few of the most important ones before you try to do everything at the same time."

"You've got a point there, luckily it's my left hand so I won't need to write or eat with it except for handling the knife,"  Dave answered.

"Don't worry, you will get used to it and we won't make fun of you when something goes wrong,"  Lyla said with a comforting smile.

"That reminds me, Inola's present is still in the car, I think I'm going to fetch it quickly, is there something that you need from the car?"  Theo asked looking quizzically at Lyla.

"Yes, there is a blue parcel on the back seat, will you bring it too?"

"Of course, I'll be back soon."