Surprise Part 21

"Your mom let my mom and I in, how are you doing?"  Lyla said when she entered my room.

"Oh, that's a nice surprise I didn't know she came home early."

"Yes, she and my mom took a lot of stuff from the boot of her car to the back, where she started the nursery.  I still have to pinch myself to convince myself that they became such close friends."

"We are lucky and blessed, and they are so excited about this landscaping idea.  I love the way they go on about growing the seedling or cuttings and not too much water for those and a little bit more for that."

"I've never seen my mom so content.  A new world opened to her."  Lyla smiled.

"How did you do in that Biology assignment?" 

"Pretty well I think, seventy-nine percent is not bad, and you?"

"Well done!  I got seventy-five percent.  I'm still proud of myself, it helps me to do it with you, you know.  Thank you for your help."

"You know it's my pleasure, we need each other.  How are you doing in the competition?"

"Well enough to be one of the three best writers, it seems as if it was not easy to choose, it ends up that we have to compete against each other with another story."

"What will it be this time?"

"Experiencing the world through the eyes of a stray.

"That sounds a bit tricky, how are you going to manage that?"

"I've got to do some research, Beth organized a meeting with Patsy for Sunday afternoon.  I'm excited, she has first-hand knowledge and I might end up meeting with one."

"It sounds exciting, what are we going to do tomorrow?  Would you like to come shopping with us?"

She must have seen my face dropping.  "I'm not good in that department, I need a special car with a ramp to be able to get inside or outside the car."

"That's okay, we can play games if you want, we scheduled the shopping for later.  I just thought it might be fun."

Shall I opt-out altogether, but I so-much looking forward to surprising Theo with the forms tomorrow.  No, I'm going to push through, if things are getting weird, I'll message mom to fetch me earlier.  "Is Dave going with you?"

"No, it's only me and my mom, Dave is running a mini-marathon to see if he like it.  His Dad is pressing him to do something to keep himself fit, in case he feels like going back to cricket next year."

"Did he love cricket?"

"Yes, he was one of his school's best players.  His dad wants him to play club cricket."

"You're not impressed, are you?"

"No, you know we're always hanging out together on a Saturday afternoon, now he'll be running tomorrow."

"Is that why you are going shopping with your mom?"

"Do you think I'm selfish?  You have much more to cope with and here I'm going on about my stupid feelings."

"You can always go and meet him at the finishing line.  I think he will appreciate the support."

"You might be right, I'll ask my mom to take me, I think he will be surprised.  Thank you, I'm looking forward to tomorrow,"  Lyla said with a soft glint in her eyes.

"Me too, I have my own surprise for someone and I can't wait to see his face.  Will Theo be at home tomorrow?"

"I'm not sure, I think he would eat and sleep in the garage if he was allowed to, he is so busy making laptop trays I almost feel sorry for Kim."