New Friend Part 7

"Did you enjoy your visit to Lyla?"  Beth asked at dinner.

"I did, but I think mom enjoyed it even more.  Lyla's mom invited her for tea and they talked like old friends with a lot of laughing going on."

"She did?"

"Of course I did,"  Mom answered with a smile, "it's not often you meet someone that seems to know you for years.  We have the same interests as gardening and cooking and raising a boy and a girl."

"Wow, that sounds interesting, tell us more about the boy," James said.

"Well, I didn't meet him but she told me he is studying engineering."

"That sounds interesting, you must update us on this as soon as you find out more."

"Okay James, I will ask her next weekend when I visit her again if the weather permits we are going to do some gardening."

"That sounds nice, you must give us some tips if you see something nice that we can try to give our garden a facelift, " Beth said while bumping her elbow into James's ribcage.

"What there's nothing wrong with our garden, I keep the lawn short and trimmed and the weeds at bay."

"That's true, but we can do with more color and I won't mind picking a few roses from my own garden, that will be nice."

"Awe, I didn't know you wanted roses in the garden, I'll take you to the nursery tomorrow afternoon then you can pick out some trees."

"Thank you, my darling you are the best, would you like to join us Inola, then you can help me pick out the colors.  You are good with colors and the fresh air will do us good."

"That will be awesome,"  I said with a big smile this weekend is getting better by the minute.

The Sunday afternoon was warmly bathed in sunshine and the trip to the nursery was fun.  "Look all the beautiful roses!"  Beth cried in excitement.

"Here is a beautiful red one, I'll buy you this one,"  James said as he showed Beth what I would call "the perfect red rose, the form was elegant, the color a crimson red and you could smell it a meter away."

"Awe this is beautiful, so perfectly formed and the color and it smells so nice, I would love to have it in my garden," Beth said as she hugged him.

"With this in my garden, I won't need to buy you a red rose for Valentine's day, I can just pick one from our garden, this will be an investment I'll risk," he teased her.

"Awe, thank you, Mr. Jordan,"  Beth laughed.  "What about this one, can I have it too, look at its beautiful soft  white petals, I love white roses."

"Me too and it will look pretty in a vase if you put it together with this one, it's such lovely soft pink, it will look gorgeous," I said smiling at Beth.

"See, that's why I needed you to join us, you instinctively know what will complement each other.  What do you think of this one, I like the peach-colored petals that change into a bright yellow in the center,"  Beth said, touching my arm with her one hand and pointing to an extraordinary beautiful rose with her other hand."

"That will look beautiful if you put a single rose in a vase and it will make an extraordinary statement if you make a bouquet with a few of those and yellow roses," I said excitedly.

"So that would be this yellow one, this smells marvelous, I just love yellow roses," Beth cried.

"Ladies, I think it's enough for now, I'll have to find space for them in our incy wincy tiny garden,"  James laughed.

"Can I have a few trays of these beautiful pansies to plant underneath them?"  Beth pouted.

"Okay, but then we are done here,"  James said as Beth side hugged him.

"Awe, that was nice thank you for a special afternoon," I said and they hugged me one after another.