Dave Part 16

"How are you doing today?"  Lyla asked, sitting down at the kitchen table while I'm making us some tea.

"I'm good and much better with my best friend here to keep me company. Is it my imagination or is there a glow in her face that she has to explain?  "Tell me does this glow has anything to do with your new friend Dave?" I smiled as I passed her the pie with gravy that I heated in the microwave.

"Maybe, we enjoy each other's company.  He is smart and sometimes even funny but we are only getting to know each other.  Would you mind if I invite him to your birthday?  I would like your opinion about him and I think he would like to meet you too."

"That will be nice, then we will be a group of young people too. James invited his group of friends, like Beth's sister and her cousins, It's exciting, I'm so looking forward to it."

"Theo is going to attend it alone, Kim told him she has to attend her cousin's stork party.  I hope you don't mind?" 

"Of course not, it might work out really well with Dave here then the boys can keep each other busy when we chat and have some fun."

"I hoped you would see it that way, do you think we can do our next biology assignment tomorrow?"

"That will help me a lot, I looked at it and it was so confusing I hope you can help me to make sense of it," I smiled at the thought and she laughed.

"Of course I will, I'm doctor Nobody and knows everything about the anatomy of the human body.  How are you doing with all the writing?"

"I think I'm okay, I submitted my assignment and you must pray that I win the competition.  I'm also excited about my novel and I would like you to read it.  I'm publishing a chapter a week and I would like to hear your opinion.

"I would love to read it, does it help you to use Wattpad to write it?"

"Sure, it makes it much easier.  Did Dave tell you how he lost his arm?"

"Yes, it was a freak accident, his motorcycle slipped on the wet road and he landed with his arm right in front of the right wheel of a truck.  It missed his head with a few inches.  It's sad that he lost his arm, but he is lucky to be alive."

"That sounds horrible, is he coping better now?"

"He is still missing his hand, but there is a slim chance that he will receive his prosthesis next week.  Though that will be another challenge."

"You think that?"

"I know it, when I received my leg, I had to learn to walk again, it took some time to gain enough confidence to walk without a stick."

"That must be hard, he is lucky to have a friend like you who will be able to understand his situation."

"Maybe I'm the lucky one here, we kind of understand each other,"  she said as she smiled shyly.