Home Alone Part 9

I wake up.  The house is silent.  It is half-past eight on Monday morning.  My first day alone at home.  A tightness nestles itself in my chest.  Will I manage, why am I so anxious.  Do what you do every morning I scold myself.  I get out of bed and go to the bathroom, will I be okay to shower without anyone to call if there's a problem?

"Sheila bring my shoes!"  I called at the top of my voice.  A few seconds later she entered the bathroom with one of my shoes.  "That's a good girl," I said and rubbed her ears then I stripped off my pajamas and got into the shower.  The hot water washed the rest of the anxiety away and I felt so much better when I got out of the shower to find Sheila waiting there with my shoes.

In the kitchen, I find that mom left the kettle, coffee, and sugar on a lower table next to the counter, she even left three kinds of cereals on the table. I put the kettle on.  All I need to do is to take the milk out of the fridge.  It was not too difficult, but I had to move out of the way to be able to open it wide enough to get the milk out.  

With the kettle boiling, I have to take a mug and a bowl from the cupboard to make myself a cup of coffee and eat my cereal.  I had to do the same maneuver as with the fridge door by wheeling myself in front of the door, open it and move out of the way to open it wider.  I'm getting used to it.  I enjoyed my coffee and cereal, feeling more confident that things will work out fine.

Back in my room, I decided to go through my books to establish which assignments I have to do first.  I listed the first three week's assignments and made notes on my desk calendar to make it easy to check every day.  That done, I noticed that my first assignment is due on Friday and it's an English essay about the pros and cons of homeschooling.  Not a topic that I know a lot of and how do I do research on that?

I check the time, it's eleven twenty, I think I can do with a cup of tea and a muffin.  I've got some thinking to do.  I enjoyed my tea and muffin and just as I wanted to return to my room, my phone pinged.  It was Lyla:  "How's your first day?"

"Good, except for this stupid essay about homeschooling baffling me."

"Don't feel alone, I'm also overwhelmed." She texted with five smileys.

My phone rang and I answered:  "Are you okay, girl?" She asked.

"Yes thanks, I'm good, I've got a stupid essay to write, but I'm good," I said.

"I never thought I would hear you say an essay is stupid, what is it about?"

"Hmm, homeschooling."

"Maybe they will have a few tips on their website, I would suggest you go onto it and read it thoroughly, it might give you what you're looking for.  Have fun, I'll see you later.

That's my mom, she'll never run out of suggestions, will she?  She might have a point, I can just as well try it.