Ch. 37

I woke up sometime later, laying on a cot within the hospital wing. With a blistering headache.

I knew it was some time into the night, judging by the way the moonlight was shining in through one of the windows. It was the only light in the room.

My entire body was beginning to hurt now that I was finally awake.

It felt as if I had been put through a meat grinder. Every inch of my body hurt, especially when I chose to move even an inch of any of my limbs.

"Ouch!" I gasped, trying to keep from crying out.

The sound of rushing footsteps quickly rushing in my direction, caused me to gasp, as I turned to see who was coming.

Tom, and the three professors rushed towards me, with Madam Noelle following behind them closely, holding a tray.

"You're awake." He stated, rushing to my side as he sighed in relief. "Don't ever do that again." He added, as he pulled me into a hug.

He pulled me into a sitting position, causing me to cry out in pain as his arms wrapped around me.

Everyone to gasped in surprise, as I clenched my fists and bit my lip to keep myself from crying out again.

"Oh, poor you dear. Here. Drink this..." I heard Madam Noelle instruct as she handed me a phial, before gently pushing Tom out of the way.

I wrinkled my nose at the taste, but drank all of the potions, as she handed them to me, all the same.

"Now, that I've finished drinking all of those. Am I free to go back to my room now?" I asked, exhausted.

"I think it would be in your best interest that you spend the night here, deary. That way I can keep an eye on both of you." She said.

'Both of us?' I thought frowning as I turned towards Tom, noticing he had a bandage wrapped around his arm, as it hung in a sling from his shoulder.

"Tom, you're hurt!" I gasped, as he had the decency to look at me sheepishly.

"It's nothing, really. Don't worry about it, Annie, I'll be good as new in a few days." He replied, looking away, embarrassed.

"What happened?" I asked, as the professors and Madam Noelle quietly spoke near the foot of the bed.

"After you took out the remaining men, I went after the one who tried to take out the professors. I took him out, but not before he threw a spell at me... Like I said, I'll be fine in a few days." He replied as he sat down on the bed next to me.

"Oh, Tom, you shouldn't have done that... You could have been hurt much worse. Are you going to be alright?" I asked.

He nodded, "I was more concerned about you." He replied, as he laid back, and placed his arm in the back of his head.

I shook my head, as I looked away trying to hide my smile. "Why? You knew I'd be fine once I came to." I murmured, leaning my head on his shoulder, as I felt my eyes grow heavy.

"No, actually, I did not. None of us did. This time you were bleeding from your nose and ears, your face was rather pallid and you were sweating quite a bit. You gave us all quite a scare, even the professors weren't sure what was going on with you." He replied, quietly.

I scoffed, rolling my eyes, only to wince as I felt a sharp pain when I did.

"Honestly, I'll be alright, you don't have to worry about me so much." I replied.

I heard as he sighed, before lifting his head and turning on the bed to look me in the eye.

"No, I do. Because I care about you. Things like these don't happen just to anyone. Wizard or no. We are dealing with something far more sinister than the professors are letting on. Which is why I want to remind you about my apology. I sorry for how I've acted these past few months. I shouldn't have ignored you like I did. Honestly, I thought I was doing you some good by putting space between us. You don't need someone like me in your life." He replied.

I frowned in response. "Who told you that?" I asked.

He looked away, "Nobody. In all honesty, I just drew my own conclusions." He replied, looking around the room.

I scoffed, shaking my head in disbelief. "You're being utterly ridiculous, Tom. You've been my best friend since we began studying here! How can you tell me that the one person who has been with me since we entered this world! To say that it's more than ridiculous..." I replied shaking my head at him again.

"I guess I did make a rather erroneous assumption. Can you forgive me?" He asked, sheepishly.

A small smile spread on my lips as I watched him tilt his head, and bite his lip. "I forgive you... For being an ass, and ignoring me." I conceded.
"Don't do it again, though. One can be excused, two times cannot..." I added warningly.

"Alright. I won't." He promised.

"Do you promise?" I asked, eyeing him carefully.

He sighed, "I will try my very best not to do it. If I do though, just know that it's not you I am entirely ignoring. Well, not consciously." He replied.

"Fine." I replied, as I yawned.

He had replied something else I had already fallen asleep.