Ch. 14 Scare

When we reached King's Cross Station Tom, Leilah, and I quickly gathered our things along with my owl, Chloe and Tom's owl, Onyx, and Leilah's owl, Butterscotch, before we walked in silence towards the front of the station. 

I saw Merope standing near the entrance when a man suddenly appeared next to her, gripping her arm roughly before pulling her out of station, dragging her behind him. Without thinking I ran after them, ignoring as Tom and Leilah's called after me.

 As I ran past the door I saw that the man grabbed her, had now begun to pull her in the direction of a dark alley. I slowly followed them, staying in the shadows, even going as far as to pull my hood over my head, all the while holding my breath and hoping it wasn't who I thought it was.

Though I knew that judging by the way my stomach began churning horribly, and how my pulse began to race as I realized that it was the exact person who I was thinking. I knew it was, in fact, Tom Riddle Senior. 

When I reached the end of the alley I could hear Merope's struggles as she attempted to fight off the horrid man. He had her long raven locks grasped tightly in his big hands. I quietly crept up behind him slowly, hoping that what worked last time worked this time once more. Taking a deep breath, before I stood upright, suddenly feeling my brain hatch an idea.

'Petrificus Totalus.' I thought, raising my hand and flicking my wrist. 

I watched stunned as a white icy film appeared out of thin air before rushing towards the perpetrator, who was holding Merope captive, falling back onto the floor as stiff as a board. The next thing I heard was the sound of Merope's body dropping, onto the cold, muddy stone floor. I shook my head trying to clear it, before I ran towards Tom's mother, who was sprawled on the floor.

I kneeled onto the ground next to her, scared of what I might see. I could hear as Leilah and Tom ran into the alley, breathing heavily as they hurriedly walked towards us. I pushed Merope's hair from her face as Tom stunned his mother's attacker. I could hear as Leilah let out a shock breathe, when they both realized who it was. 

Laying there unconscious was their no-good father, Tom Riddle Senior. I wanted nothing more than to slap his arrogant face repeatedly, maybe even proceed to do so with a leather belt. Instead I chose to turn back to Merope to check over her, noticing in relief that she was in fact still conscious, but just barely so. 

What had he done to her before I got to them?

"Sophie, what should we do with him?" He asked worried.

"Did you let out the owls? Sent them home?" I asked him. 

He nodded in response. "Shrank our things with a spell I learned and put them in the bag you use as a book bag. They're right here." Leilah said, holding up a familiar black leather bag for me to inspect.

I nodded in response, "Pull out the small black box, in there, are small phials, give me the one with the clear liquid in it. It's an energy restorer. It'll help your mother. We need to get her back home fast, I think she's going into shock, if she is, then she'll need her bed very soon." I said, as she handed me the phial I asked for, uncorking it before it reached my hand.

I managed to pull her up into a sitting position with the help of Tom, holding up the potion to her lip, watching as she took slow deliberate sips from the phial as I looked up at a worried both of them. 

"What are we going to do with that knobhead over there?" I asked Tom.

"I say we get rid of him." He said, emotionlessly, crossing his arms over his chest. 

"You know why we can't do that, Tom. Don't you remember-" Leilah said before she was interrupted by their mother,

"No." Merope answered weakly, trying to sit up again.