But We Let Go, Take A Deep Breath

Start from the beginning

"I know, but that is what it'll be like and we can definitely bring Jess with us. I'm sorry, Sunshine." Elle said.

I started freaking out, and Elle said, "What would help you feel better?"

"Just not going...but if I have to, I want someone to hold my hand." I said.

"How about I do you one better - I'll sit in the chair with you?" Elle said, and I lit up. "You mean I can sit on your lap?" I asked, and Elle nodded.

"Can Jessica come? She knows what it's like to be in the hospital." I said.

"I'd like to see you try and keep me away!" Jessica said, standing in the doorway. I squealed a little and Elle looked like she wanted to punch Jess.

"Jessica Keenan Wynn! You know better than to be walking around without your crutches!" Elle snapped.

"Yes, mom." Jess said, rolling her eyes.

________________

I was walking in the hospital, squeezing Elle's hand with all of my strength.

"I'm nervous." I said.

"I'm right here, kiddo." Elle said, kissing me on the head.

"Catlynn McLemore?" a nurse said. I looked at Elle and she ruffled my hair. The nurse handed Elle some paperwork and Jessica handed me a package of Sour Patch Kids.

"Here. Don't tell your mom." Jessica said, and I sighed. I started to subtly cry, and I reached for Jessica's hand.

"Catlynn, your chart says that this is your first time getting a transfusion since you were a toddler so we're putting you into a private area. I know this is scary." the nurse said. Elle said, "Thank you." and smiled at me.

I couldn't take it anymore. I started to run to the bathroom, and I heard Jessica say, "I got her."

I locked the door of a stall and sunk to the floor, crying. I heard a knock, then I heard, "Cat? It's Jess. Can I come in?"

"Sure..." I said, shaking and crying. I opened the door and Jessica knelt down next to me.

"Can you tell me what exactly scaring you?" Jessica asked. I started to sob, and said, "I hate needles...I know it's wimpy."

"It's definitely not wimpy. It's a legitimate phobia. It's called trypanophobia." Jessica said.

"I'm scared, Jessica. This is the scariest thing ever for me. I just found out I have a chronic illness 13 years after the fact." I said, crying. Jessica took my hand and said, "I can only imagine what you're going through, Cat, and I am so sorry that this is how you found out."

"I'm so scared..." I said, hugging Jessica tightly and sobbing.

"That's understandable. Frankly, I'd be more worried if you weren't scared." Jessica said, giggling a bit.

"Can...can you be there with me?" I asked.

"Where else would I be? Elle and I are both going to be there." Jessica said.

"I'm so nervous...can I have a hug? Can you just tell me it'll be alright?" I asked. Jessica hugged me tightly and said, "The doctors who are doing this, they've done this a million times before. They know what they're doing. You're going to be perfectly fine."

"Can I just get this over with?" I asked. Jessica took my hand and said, "You ready to go back?"

___________

"I'm so proud of you, my brave girl." Elle said, kissing my head.

"Alright, Catlynn. Are you ready?" the nurse asked. I looked at Elle and nodded, and the nurse said, "Okay. Have a seat there." and pointed to a chair.