Chapter Forty

Lucas

"There was danger. There are.. some who are badly hurt and.. two of them.. they are gone."

Lilly whispers the words as she grabs my shirt so tightly that bad creases form from my formerly immaculate shirt. She looks devastated and I know that she feels worse.

I hold her waist tighter and caress her hair.

"Relax first, love." I coax her softly. She quietly murmurs a reply and allows me to have her sit on my chair. Tristan places another chair near the Alpha's chair and I sit there. I take my glass of water and raise it to her lips.

"Drink a bit." She nodded and had a little sip of the water.

After a few minutes, Lilly looks to have calmed down. I notice her look at the people around my study for a while then at me. I nod at her to let her know that I understand that she wants me to explain what's going on.

"Twelve young wolves sneaked out yesterday to play. They managed to fool the guards and went outside the western border. They were ambushed by "were-likes." The squad who came to rescue came a bit too late. A few of them were already badly wounded and two had not made it." I softly tell her.

Lilly already knows that two of our packmates are gone so she just gravely nods.

"Luna. It's because you informed us when you sensed the danger that we were able to dispatch the rescue squad. If not for your information the group would have been completely annihilated." Tristan informs her. He is probably trying to make Lilly feel better. However, this slowpoke doesn't know yet that my cute mate will still feel bad that she didn't inform us earlier. First you have held my mate's arms and now you are trying to comfort her. If I didn't know that you absolutely don't harbor ill thoughts I would have already set you into barbecue. I give this slowpoke a glare that made him shut his mouth.

As I thought, Lilly's face became darker. "There are.. another two who are lost." She softly adds after a few seconds. My eyes squint a bit and I nod in affirmation. These pups are indeed troublesome.

"There are two who are missing. We figured that they were taken." I inform her. At that moment, a woman in her forties began crying on the side. I think she is the mother of one of those two. Beside her a slam is heard and I see her husband kneeling.

"Alpha.. Luna.. can she.. can you feel if my son is alive?" He asks in a trembling voice. His eyes are looking at Lilly earnestly. After the incident at the school everyone has learned that Lilly is a True Luna.

A True Luna is someone that is destined to be a Luna by the moon goddess. Regardless of the presence of an Alpha, she can rule and maintain the pack. Since she is a true leader, the one she is mated with will become the alpha of that pack. A True Luna also has a unique connection with the members and can feel if someone is hurt or died. She can also communicate her feelings with the pack. This is in contrast with the ordinary Lunas who just became one because they are mated with an Alpha.

Of course, Lilly isn't just an ordinary True Luna. These slowpokes just have to wait and see how amazing my mate is.

Lilly grips my hand that is on the table. I look at her and see that she is very troubled. My poor love.

"Lilly, can you try feeling about them?" Still, I ask her. Not because I know that she definitely can feel how they are doing, but because I know that she equally worries about the two pups.

"Yes." Lilly replies with a soft voice. She places her hands on her chest and closes her eyes. Then, she slowly opens them and looks at the man who is kneeling and the woman who is crying.

"I can feel their wolves.. but.. they are gone." She softly informs them while looking at them directly. I close my eyes and feel that a bad headache is starting to form. These slowpokes pups. Really troublesome and too weak.

I also look at the weeping parents and nod my head. "If that's the case, it means that their humans are gone and were made into "were-likes." I confirm their suspicions. The woman starts to cry loudly and the man takes her into his arms. On the other side, I see another man who grabs his hand so hard that I can see blood coming from his palms. His shoulders are trembling and he seems about to fall.

"Assist Jake's and Dave's parents to take a rest." I softly give an order. Tristan on my side nods and he himself comes to their side to escort them. I stand up and give them each a pat on the shoulder.

After they are out, I sit down and take Lilly on my lap and hug her, not minding the others who stayed inside the study.

"You did a good job informing them yourself." I whisper to her ear. Lilly shrinks her body to my embrace and I hold her tighter.

Just a moment later, I hear my phone ringing. It is a call from Alpha Tane. This gives me a bad feeling. Sure enough, just when I answer the phone, Tane's voice without any formalities informs me of grave news.

"Alpha Lucas. Two small packs from the south have been completely exterminated."