Chapter Sixty: The First Task

[A/N: hey all, I'm back with something new for you! It's been a busy couple of months and covid has impacted a lot, but hopefully I can get out some more updates soon! Stay safe, I hope you are all well!
- chloe]
••

[A/N: hey all, I'm back with something new for you! It's been a busy couple of months and covid has impacted a lot, but hopefully I can get out some more updates soon! Stay safe, I hope you are all well!- chloe]••

DAISY COULDN'T sleep knowing that today, of all days, could be the end of her life. The first task started in a few mere hours, time ticking by slowly. She was nervous. The champions had not been told any details, but whatever it was Daisy just knew it wasn't humane. The tasks were designed to challenge you, and Daisy didn't feel advanced enough compared to the other champions. Daisy also worried for Harry. Her brother was the same age, probably even less advanced than herself. How were they going to survive this? And what could possibly go more wrong than already having Voldemort after them.

She lay awake, thinking about the possibilities of what the task could be. Draco had told her every night she had nothing to worry about, but she could not push past all the negative thoughts lingering in her mind. She should not be apart of this tournament. Her dad had said exactly the same as Draco. 'There's nothing to worry about, you're advanced and know skills beyond your years." But what if those skills disappeared when competing? What if she froze and couldn't remember a single thing? What if her wand failed her?

Daisy was close to tears. It had been like this every night leading up to the first task. She just couldn't apprehend the circumstances of why she was even allowed to compete. She wasn't some animal up for slaughter, she was a child. A fragile child with a messed up past.

Daisy closed her eyes, pushing the negative thoughts out of her mind to try and get a few hours of sleep. A few hours where she hoped, just for once, that she wouldn't have a nightmare. Now was not the time for that.

••

THE CROWDS roared as the five champions stood around nervously, their friends giving them some moral support. Draco was stood next to Daisy, rubbing her back as she sighed for the umpteenth time. "Dais, stop stressing yourself out. Please, this will all be over before you know it." He sighed, seeing her eyes glisten with tears. "Hey, don't cry." He frowned.

"Draco, as much as you mean the world to me this isn't helping." She sniffled. "This task could kill me."

"But it won't." He half hugged her, sitting on a sofa in the tent. "You're stronger than you know. You've gotten to this point in life, after everything thats happened to you. Something like this will not be the end of you." Daisy tried to smile, not saying a word but burying her head into the neck of her best friend. She sobbed, tightening her grip around him. He hugged her back.

A flash appeared out of nowhere, in walking Rita Skeeter and her crew. "Young love." Her quill scratched away, as she turned from Daisy and Draco to Hermione and Harry. "If everything goes unfortunate for you today Harry, you might make the front page." She giggled, like this was some sick joke.