Chapter Fifty Six: Unforgivable Curses

THE next day, lessons resumed. Daisy was still nervous. She didn't know what to expect, but she didn't expect anything close to normal.

Her first lesson was one she normally looked forward to, however today she feared it. Defence Against the Dark Arts with no other than an ex-Auror, the one that put most of You-Know-Who's followers behind bars in Azkaban. She sensed something odd about their new professor, but she couldn't quite put her finger around it.

"I hope we actually learn something this year." Draco sniggered, slamming his book against his desk.

"I wouldn't count on it, Draco." Pansy had retorted. "Besides, Daisy said so herself that there's always going to be trouble while her and Potter are around."

"Sadly, yes." Daisy sighed loudly, sitting next to Draco. Pansy and Blaise sat in front of them, Crabbe and Goyle behind. They sat at the back of the room, hoping they wouldn't have to participate in such a lesson. Draco worried for the girl, in fact all of her friendship group did. It was like trouble followed the fraternal twins everywhere they went.

The Gryffindor's soon piled into the room along with many other Slytherin students, taking a seat wherever they could. Daisy waived over to her Gryffindor friends and brother, before being interrupted by a slam of the door opening. The Professor was the last person to enter the room. He hobbled down to the front of the classroom, limping along with his cane that he carried around everywhere. The first wizarding war showed major effects on the professor. His magical eye followed the faces of students left and right, not missing a single one.

He soon reached his desk, picking up a piece of chalk before walking over to the blackboard, writing his name frantically. "Alastor Moody." He continued to underline his name, turning towards the students. "Ministry malcontent, and your new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher." He could see the faces of students etched with interest, but also fear. "I'm here because Dumbledore asked me, end of story, goodbye, the end." Students sunk back in their seats across the classroom. He was not one to mess with. "Any Questions?" Not a single hand was raised in the classroom. Maybe they feared him, or his noble work while being an Auror, or maybe they didn't know anything to ask questions about, but not a single sound was heard.

He moved a little bit forward, over to an empty desk. On the desk stood a jar and a bucket. A jar with a spider in it, the bucket with water. "When it comes to the Dark Arts, I believe in a practical approach." He took out his wand, holding it in his hands. "But first, which of you can tell me how many unforgivable curses there are?" Oh no. Daisy was scared. Harry was scared. In fact, all of the students, but a few, were scared.

"Three, sir." Hermione muttered.

"And they are so named?" He looked at other students, seeing if anyone else would answer. Hermione answered again.

"Because they are unforgivable. Use of any of them will..." he cut the girl off, turning to the chalk board again.

"Will earn you a one way ticket to Azkaban." He wrote this down on the board. "Correct. Now the ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I say different. You need to know what you're up against, you need to be prepared," he was cut off by the sound of someone popping chewing gum. "You need to find somewhere else to put your chewing gum other than the underside of your desk, Mr Finnigan." He said, displeased. How did he know?

Seamus retorted with a sarcastic joke, the professor throwing his chalk in anger. "So which curse shall we see first?" He looked around the room, looking for a student to pick on. "Weasley!" Ron jumped out of his skin, his face matching his hair.