Chapter Eighty Seven: Christmas

DAISY COULDN'T CONTAIN her excitement as she woke up at the crack of dawn on Christmas Day morning

DAISY COULDN'T CONTAIN her excitement as she woke up at the crack of dawn on Christmas Day morning. Fresh snow had fallen across Cokeworth overnight leaving the day feeling magical. She wasted no time in running downstairs, not changing from her pyjamas. "Merry Christmas dad." She beamed as she entered the sitting room, Severus Snape sat reading yesterday's edition of the daily prophet.

"Good morning Daisy, Happy Christmas." He folded over his newspaper, giving the girl a warm smile as he looked at his daughter. She was now sat on the armchair in the corner, her legs crossed under her as she picked up her school books. "We've been invited to Grimmauld Place for Christmas dinner." He held out a letter, handing it to Daisy.

"We?" She questioned, knowing the current resident of that household. Her father and godfather never saw eye to eye, even when they were younger. Severus nodded. She read through the letter one more time.

"Yes, we." Severus said stiffly, knowing he wanted nothing more than to stay at home all day with Daisy. He didn't want to be around Sirius Black.

"Will you actually stay for food this time?" Daisy questioned her father. Severus shrugged, shuffling forward in his chair, now perching on the edge as the girl handed back the letter.

"We will just have to see. Now, how about I make you some pancakes before you open all your presents?" He changed the subject as fast as he could, rising from the leather sofa and heading towards the kitchen as Daisy nodded.

••

The rest of their Christmas Day morning was spent peacefully together, Daisy unwrapping all her presents from her father and her friends. As she finally got herself ready for the day, she waited patiently for the clock to chime 12pm. "You don't have to stay, Dad. If you are that worried. I'm sure the Weasley's will look after me." Daisy spoke up, seeing the man go through several emotions at once.

"I know they will." Severus spoke up, pausing for a moment. "I will drop you off and you can spend time with your friends and godfather." He let out a sigh that Daisy recognised as a sign of feeling uncomfortable.

"You don't have to put yourself in an uncomfortable situation for me. I'll be just fine. I'll go for some food and then come straight home." Daisy nodded. Severus liked the sound of that plan. It worked for the both of them.

••

"Oh Daisy, you look well! Come in, come in. Everyone is in the kitchen, dear." The door swung open almost instantly after the duo knocked. Daisy dressed in her comfiest white jumper, black trousers and her winter jacket. Snow was falling quite heavily, a truly magical white Christmas.