Chapter Seventy One: Another Year Older

[A/N: hi all! We're finally onto the next part of the book and I'm squealing inside! I've got so much planned and I can't wait to finish it so I can make a sequel (yes you heard that correctly, there will be a second book!) Please enjoy this little draisy filler chapter!]

••

"THREE...TWO...ONE...happy birthday Daisy!" The group of Slytherin friends cheered softly as the grandfather clock in the hallway chimed twelve times, signifying it had turned midnight. Midnight on the 30th July. Malfoy Manor had been taken over by the group for a sleepover, to celebrate Daisy's birthday after they had finished school for the summer.

"Another year older." She beamed, bringing a blanket around her, her head resting upon Draco Malfoy's shoulder. They were all sat in the library, the fire crackling in front of them, random books scattered around cups of pumpkin juice and plates of food Narcissa Malfoy had prepared for them. Daisy yawned as she looked at the fire, realising she never normally stayed up until midnight, especially not for her birthday. It was one of the few she was actually celebrating properly, surrounded by her friends.

"Happy birthday, Dais." Draco smiled next to the girl, trying not to yawn. He, too, was tired. It was unlike them to be awake this late. Draco took the girls hand, placing a kiss gently on top of her knuckles. Draco knew that he still had to tell his family about what was going on between him and Daisy Snape. He was waiting for the right moment. Deep down, he was sure his mother already knew.

"Thank you, Draco." She yawned again, causing Draco to also yawn with her. "There was no better way to start my birthday then to be surrounded by my favourite people." Daisy looked at each of her friends, seeing how their faces lit up as they enjoyed the company of one another.

"Are you tired? Shall we all head to bed?" Daisy nodded, another yawn erupting from the small girl. "Okay, we'll go to bed." Draco smiled. She sat up as he stood up, pulling her up with him gently, before snaking his arm around her waist. "Pansy and Blaise, you're okay sleeping in the guest bedroom, right?" The two nodded. "Crabbe and Goyle, you're both alright sharing a room next door?" The two boys nodded as well, happy with the sleeping arrangements.

Draco led the group upstairs, showing the guests to their rooms for the night. Before long, it was just him and Daisy, standing in the hallway outside the rooms Daisy recognised well. "I didn't forget about you, you know. I was hoping you would be okay sleeping in my room," he paused for a moment, scratching the back of his neck. "With me." His voice stuttered with nerves. He wasn't sure how the girl would react, but he wanted her close, he wanted to spend the whole night with her on her birthday.

"Don't be nervous Draco, it's absolutely fine." She chuckled, his cheeks glowed under the flickering of the candles that lined the hallway.