The Cat's Meow

Quite frankly, he wasn't sure how he hadn't thought of this before. Shapeshifting into a cat to avoid monster hunters was genius. He could come and go throughout the day and always come home to food and a warm bed. All the while, his host was completely welcoming and entirely unaware of his kill count. 

    "Atticus!" Lorelai called, "Come here, baby."

    That was his cue. He had to play the game a little bit, so he hopped up onto the bed and into her lap. He paced circles around his living bed until he found a comfy spot to lay. Her needy fingers scratched his back and moved up to his head. He pushed his head upwards against her hand and purred. 

    “You’re such a pretty boy,” she cooed, “Yeah! You’re a precious, little baby. I love you. Yeah, I love you!”

    He wasn’t a huge fan of the baby talk, so he meowed at her. She always misinterpreted it though. Her face lit up, and she only cooed at him more. She bent down to kiss his head. He tried to jerk his head away, but he didn’t make it in time. The kissed planted, and he cried out again.

    “Don’t be a fussy, whittle baby,” she complained.

    If only he could speak. He had so many things he wanted to say to this human. Sometimes the idea of just eating her was tempting. But alas, as he rested his head on her warm leg and listened to her laugh at whatever was on her phone, he knew he could never hurt Lorelai. She was the only human he had whitelisted. Every other human’s expendability varied with his moods, but even if he was mad at her or it benefited his survival, he'd keep her safe.

    An ear-piercing laugh broke through the silence. Sometimes if he meowed, she'd show him her screen. So he meowed. Unfortunately, she didn't show him her screen.

    "Did my laugh hurt your ears? I'm sorry, squishy pants." she apologised. "I love you."

    Internally, he sighed. Externally, Atticus said, "I love you too, human."

    "What?" Lorelai exclaimed.

    He meowed.

    "I swear to god, I thought you just said something. It must have just been my phone." she dismissed, immediately going back to swiping and laughing.