Dragon's Greatest Treasure

A loud, thunderous growl erupted from behind her, causing her to leap out of her skin. She peered over her shoulder to see the enormous dragon curl his mouth back in a snarl. A limp deer hung out of his jaws.

She laughed nervously. "I...I woke up early."

A low grumbled radiated out of his throat. He flung the deer towards a pile of gold, silver, and other treasures. He cautiously plucked the human up into his jaws. Startled, she shrieked in response. He padded over to the treasure hoard and gently placed her on top of it.

"Oh...uhh..." she muttered, feeling rather embarrassed about screaming. He had never hurt her before, and she felt bad for reacting as if he was about to.

He was just a control freak who liked to keep all of his treasure in one pile. Having his greatest treasure be a living, moving thing was frustrating. She wouldn't stay on the pile. At least she normally stayed near the pile when he was here to keep him soothed, but when he wasn't present, she would stretch her legs and get some water.

He flopped down beside his treasure hoard. She carefully slid down the mound of valuables and crawled over his tail. He let out a low growl as she plopped down beside him. He eventually relented and just pulled her in closer with his tail. He extended his wings over her to shield her from what was to come next.

In a flash of light and heat, fire erupted from his mouth and blasted the deer. It was cooked thoroughly in a second. He flapped his wing twice to cool the surrounding area and push the smoke out of the cave. He tore off one of its legs with a claw and placed it in front of her. In the process, he drew his wing back up, so she could have more of a view.

"T-thank you." She grabbed the leg by its hoof.

Being a dragon's treasure wasn't all that bad. It was weird to not wake up inside of her family's home and sometimes she missed her family, but the dragon was not heartless. Whenever she mentioned her family, he always brought her back to her village to visit. In fact, whenever she mentioned anything, he almost always brought it to her. She was quite spoiled, and she often felt bad because her people back home lived in poverty.

"How was your morning?" she questioned. He understood English; he just couldn't speak it, but they still had ways of communicating.

He grunted in disgust. Obviously, this morning hadn't been the greatest.

"I'm sorry to hear that, big guy." She rubbed at the scales beside her. He curled his neck in towards her and laid his head down right in front of her, tilting his chin up just a tad. She knew what he wanted.

She sat the leg down for a moment before scooting closer to him. She extended a hand to his slightly softer underside that stretched from underneath his chin to the bottom of his chest. She started to scratch the bottom of his chin, and just like that the massive, ferocious, murderous, village-destroying dragon began to purr.