|55|

The worst moments of your life are when you are helpless. When you think 'if' you could have done something better so that the consequences won't kill you from inside. When all you want is to turn back time and make everything right.

But sadly, that isn't possible.

Not when Taehyung is cradling Y/n's body and the water is trickling down from the rocks and into the cave. Not when there is still time left for the magic to be restored. And definitely not when the water is slowly rising up. Gantis's magic isn't allowing Taehyung to use his. 

The power of the dying man.

And her pulse is low.

Too low.

Taehyung is crying, sobbing. Frustrated at himself.

One hour could have been sufficient if not for the unforgiving water slowly trying to swallow them. Or the amount of blood she is still losing. He had managed to clean the extra blood and wash the wounds but what else could he do?

He sniffled again. Wiping the tears with his sleeve.

"Y/n?" His voice meek and fragile. "Please . . . wake up? Please?"

He shook her body gently. "I promised I'll come back with you. I promised them we'll be back."

A sharp intake of breath shook both of them. The cold water had splashed and touched Taehyung's leg, making him shiver.

"Shit." He scooped Y/n in her arms and moved a bit more inwards, on the higher rocks of the cave.

So this is what losing hope feels like. Taehyung knows now. He has given up. At least if they die, they die together. But what about goodbyes?

Will she die without Taehyung telling her for the last time that he loves her?

His chin dipped, eyes squeezed as fresh tears fell from his eyes, on Y/n's face, smearing the blood on her cuts.

Taehyung couldn't say anything anymore. He couldn't beg her to wake up. He couldn't . . . he just couldn't do anything and that fucked his mind. A small wail left his mouth as he rested his head on the cave wall behind him.

"I am sorry." He whispered while closing his eyes. "I am sorry."

For a few moments, he let his ragged breath get evened out, the soft rippling of water, the dampness of the cave, and the soft chiming, calming his nerves to some extent.

Wait.

Chiming?!

Y/n's body almost fell off his lap with the sudden vigor he sat up with.

"What . . . "

No, he is hallucinating.

This isn't real.

Or is it?

The spot where Tae's tears had fell glowed green with wisps dancing on her skin, healing her wound.

"oh."

He paused.

Placing Y/n on the ground beside him, he hovered above her.

"Oh."

He squeezed his eyes and another one fell on her forehead, a similar thing happening again. A small flicker of hope ignited in his chest but soon was soon washed over by the fact that she has way too many wounds to be treated by just his tears.

"Where do I get more tears from, what the fuck?" He growled, punching the wall and howling with pain right after.

By now, both of them were on a little island that was surrounded by the water and in a few minutes wouldn't leave any ground for them to stand.

The gears in Taehyung's mind started to whir and he frantically looked around.

"Water . . ." He gave the flowing liquid a sly smile, call him dramatic, but in that moment, he had the upper hand. Taehyung bulged his eyes open, not blinking and fanning them with his hands.

"Come on come on come on!" He hissed while continuing to make his tears appear. The corners of his eyes started to sting and he squeezed his eyes shut, letting the tears fall in the pool of water. He even hit himself and pinched his skin to get more tears.

The idea seemed smart and stupid at the same time but they were running out of time and that was the only thing he could do. Picking up Y/n from where she lay, he slowly dropped her body in the water. His lower lip caught between his teeth as he fiddled nervously with his fingers.

Did I kill her?

But before his guilt tripping could go further, the familiar green glow hummed in the water before completely disappearing.

He felt his heart stop. The same thing happened with Jimin, when his magic just . . . extinguished.

No.

He dropped to his knees and just when he was about to plunge in, Y/n surfaced over, coughing and wheezing. Taehyung stared at her like it was the first time he has seen her. She rubbed her nose and blinked away the water before looking at Taehyung.

"Bitch, I almost died!" She wheezed again.

"I-"

"Help me out!" She whined, lifting her arms so that he could take her out of the water.

He lifted her effortlessly, her body fluidly coming out of water before she jumped on him and kissed him hard.

"Fuck, I missed you. Am I obsessed?" She chuckled.

"Who is not?" Taehyung smiled before grabbing her by the neck and feverishly kissing her again. Both of them mentally thanking for being alive . . . for the time being.

And the feeling of happiness went away as soon as it came when they realized they are still stuck in the cave and the water is still rising.

"Tae . . . how do we get out?"

Oh how much he wished he knew. "I-I don't know. We can't."

She nodded slowly, almost negligibly as the knowledge of dying soon curtained her slowly. "So this is it, huh?"

Her hands found their way to Taehyung's, grabbing them tightly.

"I wish it wasn't, but it is."

They stood on the little rock, watching the water completely cover it and reach their ankles. Their eyes sparkling with unshed tears, twinkling on the rhythm of the water. Well, at least they die surrounded by beauty.

Each other.

Y/n almost laughed at that. How she thought of not minding to die if surrounded by beauty and now she is going to die beside a beauty.

Just the smallest bit of guilt was there, that they won't say their last adieus to the others.

No other words were spoken.

Only each other's presence, reminding them that 'you never walk alone'. Even when they walk towards the death, they won't walk alone.

_________________________________________