Chapter 33

I wake in the middle of the gasping for air. I calm myself down by drinking the water I put on my nightstand next to me.  It's been a week since I got back from the hospital.

Ever since then I've been having horrible flashbacks. Parts of the night coming back to me. But not all of it. It feels like a puzzle piece and I'm trying to put it together but I don't have all the pieces.

I run my hands through my hair and feel my breath slowly returning back to normal. I haven't told anyone I've been having flashbacks. I don't even know if those are what they are.

I look out my window, and see toms house. The light in his room is on.

We told each other we'd see each other the next day but none of us ever called or texted to meet up. 

A sharp pain rises in my head. I hold my head in my arms.

I get another flashback, this time it's of Kevin, and a lake. He's smoking and it was clearly night time. I see a dirty lake, and then all of sudden the vision goes.

These things I knew of course. They told me what happened, it's just the actual memory of the event happening, that I didn't have.

I fall back onto my bed.

I have no idea if Kevin or Emily have been held accountable. My mom won't share any information with me. She doesn't want me to worry and stress my self out but her withholding it from me is making me stress even more.

The only person who might remotely even tell me about what's happening is Tom. I shift to my side and grab my phone off the night stand.

I go to messages and see toms contact. My finger hovers over his name, deciding weather I should text him or not.

Either way, I click on it. I see all our old messages. My eyes fall the "you have blocked this person" message written below.

As if it were an instinct, I unblock him.

Not even moments later, my phone over flowed with notifications.

"Shit" I whisper.

No wonder I thought tom hadn't texted me. I realize quickly that I couldn't see the messages he sent me after I blocked him.

I scroll through all of the unseen messages. There's messages that go back all the way to when we first broke up, of him begging me to text him back.

I scroll down and see the most recent one. It's says "hey, are u free today?" And below it "are u there?"

I smack my forehead for being so stupid. He probably thought I was ignoring him, even after he saved my life.

I sit up and look out the window. His lights are still on.

Without even thinking on it I call him. My heart starts beating fast. At this point I'm used to it.

It's rings for a big before I hear his voice on the other side of the phone. "Hello?" He says.

Not wanting to drag anything anymore, I get straight to the point. "Are you busy? Did I wake you?"

"No." He says, not showing a hint of emotion in his voice.

"Great, can you come over?" I ask while fiddling with my blanket.

Theres a good 5 second pause before he says "no"

It catches me off guard. "What? Why?"

"I don't want too." He says firmly.

I'm filled with confusion. "Why are u mad? I didn't even do anything."