Chapter 36

Tom
I grab her hand and lead her away. Everyone was scattering around trying to get to class because the teacher had broken up the crowd watching Kevin. I smile to myself while replaying the events of what just happened to Kevin.

Seeing that we can't be in the halls before the teacher finds us, I pull her into a dark janitor's closet. I close the door behind me and she stumbles back a little, hitting something on her head.

"Ow what the fuck" she rubs the spot and steps away from the wall. "What are you doing?"

"We need to talk," I say gently.

"In here?" She asks. "I can barely even see you in here." She says referring to the dark.

Oh right, I must've forgotten. I flick the light on. We both cringe when it comes on hurting our eyes that had already adjusted to the dark.

I cross my arms and I notice her eyes going to my arms watching the muscles. "Better?" I ask.

She looks back at me. "Totally" she replies sarcastically. "You seriously couldn't have done this any other time?"

"No, because you've been ignoring me." I accuse, clenching my jaw.

She lets out a breath knowing I'm right. "Ok so then let's talk." She shrugs.

I get straight to the point. "Why have you been ignoring me?" She stares at me not knowing how to respond. Her eyes refuse to look anywhere but at me. "Answer the question." It comes off harshly but she looks back up at me now. As soon as our eyes meet I feel regret but I'm still mad at her. I can't help but admire her beauty even when she's upset and stressed.

"Because that night should've never happened Tom" She blustered.

I knew she was probably avoiding me because of that night but I never thought she felt it was a mistake. She noticed the hurt in my eyes and I could tell she felt bad.

"Why?" I question and she looks taken aback like the answer should be obvious.

"What?" She asks as if she hadn't heard me.

I repeat myself. "Why? Why shouldn't it have happened?"

"Because it just shouldn't have, okay?" She muttered.

I scoff at her response. "Did you even mean it when you said you loved me that night?"

She looks hurt that I would even question that but how could I not. "Of course I did."

"So then what changed?" I hold eye contact with her waiting for an answer. Her eyes were glassy and she was trying not to cry. When she doesn't answer I let out a bitter laugh. "Fine don't answer but I'm done y/n" she gives me a confused look. "I'm done chasing after you. This is what you want right?" A tear goes down her cheek making me regret my words but I press on. "I'm done fighting for you. Since you hate me so much I'll do you a favor and never speak to you again." I spit harshly.

She looks surprised, hurt and angry all at once. When she doesn't say anything again I go to leave but her voice stops me. "Of course you are," she says coldly. When I look back over at her she continues. "You've got what you wanted right?" She asks bitterly.