Chapter 38

"You have to come to prom!" Maya cries out.

"I already told you. I have no one to go with," I say.

She sits up and slouches, "You have me."

"And you have your date, I'm not going to be third wheeling." I shrug.

She groans, getting up, and heads over to my closet. She pulls out the dress I was planning on wearing when Tom and I were still planning on going.

Maya was staying over at my house and it was Wednesday night. I had left Tom's place at about 8 pm and yes we did end up focusing on the project. We acted like the kiss never happened. I don't think we would've stopped if I hadn't stopped first.

"You're telling me you don't want to wear this?" She looks at me like I'm crazy.

I shake my head and laugh, "Yes that's exactly what I'm saying."

She rolls her eyes and brings it over to me, "you look so gorgeous in this dress y/n. You have to come just to wear it!"

"Why? Just so I can stand there alone and watch everyone dance?"

"You have me and Katy."

Katy is Maya's girlfriend. They started talking around the time when Katy and I had our little falling out. It was pretty obvious they liked each other but neither of them was brave enough to ask each other out. Then eventually Maya popped the big question and they've been dating ever since.

I sigh. I guess standing alone for a while wouldn't hurt all that much. And Tom and I are friends now right? If I happened to see him there it wouldn't hurt to ask for a dance.

She looks at me, eyes wide and pleading, "Fine."

A huge grin takes over her face, "Yes! Trust me you won't regret it," She locks pinkies with me, "I promise."

I plop back down on my bed, "I better not or you'll be missing a pinky."

She laughs and climbs on the bed with me.

~~~~~~~~

It's two minutes after the bell for the class has rung and comes rushing through the door. He comes and sits next to me, looking out of breath.

"Sorry I'm late," he says.

"It's fine but why are u breathing like you just ran a marathon?" I ask.

He laughs softly, "Ran up here from the first floor."

Before I could respond to that the teacher starts talking. Apparently, we had twenty minutes to do final touches, and then we have to present this shit to the class.

When the teachers finished blabbering, Tom turns to me.

"Hey, you wanna maybe get out of here?" He asks. "I really don't wanna present."

I look at him confused. "Like leave class?"

He nods.

"Like now?"

He nods again.

I give him a weird look, "Okayyy but how are we gonna do that?"

A mischievous grin grows on his face. "Just follow my lead."

"Wha-" I start, right before Tom throws himself off the chair.