True Colors

He could feel his heart pounding in his ears. The wedding was less than twenty four hours away. If he was going to have any last say about their relationship, it was going to have to be right then and there. Will couldn't let another second go by feeling guilty, ashamed, or not worthy. His brother has enough mercy in his heart to give him a second chance- his words stuck to him like flypaper. This was what being a man was all about.

Giving the door three distinct pounds, the man waited less than patiently on the other side. Ruby was there, just like he knew she would be on a Friday morning. Her shift didn't start until eleven, and she always took Charlie on a walk while the morning air was still sifting in the breeze. For a man who claimed to not have a care in the world, he cared a lot about Ruby Lucas. Maybe he just didn't know it enough- never would he make that mistake again.

"Will... What are you doing here?" The woman asked, wearing a red hoodie and her favorite pair of skinny jeans. It was early in the morning, but she still looked stunning.

"I, uh, just wanted to apologize for everything that happened. Can I come in?" Will asked, hoping he didn't sound as nervous as he thought he did. He never got nervous- being a gentleman like his brother was difficult.

Ruby seemed so genuinely surprised with this new Will Scarlett. It took her a second or two to recuperate from her initial surprise; and, when she did, she opened the door wider and nodded. There were things she wanted to say as well, but she had to hear what he had to say first.

He channeled his thoughts into recalling every word Robin had said to him when explaining how to act properly when giving an apology. Apparently, there was once a time when his brother was as wild and stupid as he was now (though he refused get into detail). He was still a dork now, but he knew how to keep his act together. Robin was the perfect mixture of strong willed and empathetic. He was everything Will ever dreamed of being like.

"Ruby, I... I don't even know where to start really. Never in my dreams did I ever think such a pretty girl would ever ask me out, or give me a chance- but you did. And the past five months have been amazing- we got to know each other so well. Sad thing is, I took it all for granted. I never appreciated what I had while I had it, and now we're here. I was a shitty boyfriend. I was always late for dates, I distracted you from work, and I never once told you how thankful I was that you came into my life. Now I'm not asking you to forgive me, I'm just asking you to not hate me. Seeing Roland get hit by that bottle made me realize that I don't want to spend another second being that horrible person I was- I'm not taking anything for granted anymore."

Robin's voice was practically yelling at him. Stand up straight; as much as it'll hurt to look her in the eyes, do it. Speak direct and clear- knock her socks off. Smile every now and then so she knows you're not there to just tell her what she needs to hear. Show her you're a real man.

"Wow... Will, I honestly didn't think we'd ever have this conversation," Ruby said, after thinking things through for what seemed like forever. "But ever since we broke up, I was hoping I'd see you here. I... I feel bad about what happened- and not just because of what happened to Roland. Things got out of hand, and I said some things I shouldn't have. Truth is, I like you and your carefree self. Sure you could be a little more considerate sometimes, but you weren't a shitty boyfriend. These last few days have been the worst days of my life, and it made me realize how much I need you."

Will couldn't believe what he was hearing. Trying to change really had its benefits.

"I can't imagine a life without you. But Rubes, I don't deserve you. You'll meet a great guy one day, someone with a steady job, a nice big house-"