The Daunting Mystery

The phone rang about six times before she picked up.

"Regina? What a surprise hearing from you!" Snow said into the phone, smiling warmly at the sound of her stepmother on the other end. She was beginning to love the new friendship they had.

"I was just calling to see what kind of plans you and David had for Christmas," Regina told her, propping the phone up with her shoulder so she could pour both her sons a glass of juice as they prepared to start supper.

Snow seemed slightly surprised by the question. "Um, we haven't really talked about it much, but I suppose we'll just have a little get together at the house again. Why the sudden question? Of course you're invited, Regina."

"Well, I was just thinking that maybe we can have something over here this year; after all, you do need a bigger house for all those people. And you do so much for everyone as it is- it's the least I can do."

Snow softly hummed to herself, debating what the answer should be. "I mean... I guess that would be fine, you're right about needing a bigger house. I'll talk to David and Emma and see what they say."

Regina couldn't help but smile. She knew Robin was stressed out and she needed to take things easy with the baby, but Regina really wanted to host that party, to seal the deal on her conversion to the good side, to fully prove to everyone that she was one of them.

"I think it's awesome you finally want to put your big house to use," Snow joked, "I can get the word out to everyone. I'm sure they all will be exited to hear. We can talk plans later on."

"Alright, well I don't want to keep you from eating. Talk to you later, Snow." Regina said, hanging up the phone and turning her attention back to her boys.

"You seriously want to have a party over here on Christmas?" Henry asked, in the middle of spooning a pile of white rice into his plate. "That's so cool! I love parties!"

Regina laughed at his enthusiasm. "Well it isn't for sure yet, but I thought I'd give your grandma a break after everything she does."

Snow was a leader to all those innocent villagers she had kept under her thumb for countless years. Every single one of them loved her like a sister; she was far more than just a friend. While Regina had been destroying lives, Snow had all kept them safe, with a promise of hope for a better life. That was more than she could ever do, nonetheless, live up to.

"Is Dad missing dinner again?"

Regina sighed. "He has to work overtime again. How you can work overtime at an animal shelter beats me- have you two noticed how weird he's been lately?"

Immediately, Henry cast his eyes down to his plate as he began picking at his meal. Despite his mother being the infamous evil queen, he had gotten pretty good at hiding things from her. It was a tricky and dangerous ordeal, but clearly not impossible.

"Maybe he's just trying to find you a present," he replied, realizing that the answer he gave her wasn't entirely a lie.

"Oh God, he doesn't need to get me anything," Regina said quickly, though Henry could tell she was beginning to blush. "This baby is our Christmas present, I don't need anything else. Besides, why would I need anything more? I have the two best boys in the entire universe."

And that was how the rest of their dinner conversation went. Roland convinced her that she needed a present like everyone else, and preceded to let the cat out of the bag on what he was planning to get her- a bag of gummy worms. He swore on his life that babies loved gummy worms.

After dinner, Regina sent both her boys upstairs to take their showers. Since Roland claimed he could take his own bath now that he had turned five, she no longer had to help him (Henry was assigned the task of keeping watch of him no matter how strongly opposed he was to the idea)- therefore, the overworked mother had at least thirty minutes to herself. Once she heard the bathroom doors close, Regina was off upstairs faster than she could stop herself. The curiosity was eating away at her; what could he possibly be doing in there? They had to finish by Christmas, and that date was getting closer and closer.