Old Ties

She was grateful Emma was willing to babysit on such short notice. As much as she wanted to get back home to her kids after the appointment with Doctor Whale, Regina needed some time to herself. And what better place to do that then at Granny's, the only real place to go on such a quick notice.

Granny still gave her an odd look when she entered, but took her order of a small chocolate shake and disappeared back into the kitchen without another word. Regina thought she deserved something, a small congratulations to herself for the positive baby news.

She thought about what Emma had told her, that everyone would eventually find out. As much as she wanted everyone to like her, Regina didn't want rumors to start flooding in about everything that had happened to her. But that's what people did, create rumors.

Granny set the glass down on the counter while Regina opened her purse for a couple dollars.

"Nope, this one's on the house."

"Really?" Regina said, smiling a bit. "Thank you."

"There's something... Off about you," Granny said, "I don't know what it is... but it looks like you need some cheering up."

Was it really that obvious?

"Thank you." Regina said again, sticking her straw in and swirling it around.

Granny was so perplexed by this new person she seemed to be. It wasn't right; she hated this woman, the evil queen had made her life miserable. But there Regina was, right in front of her, sipping a chocolate shake in her diner.

She got out her phone and checked her emails, somewhat relieved to see that Belle had sent her a couple forwards considering an addition to the public library and zoning laws. Despite it being a lot of work, she missed being in charge of things.

"Regina, surprise to see you here!" Snow said as soon as she walked through the door. Regina turned around to face her and sent her a small smile.

"I thought I'd escape for a little bit," she told her as her stepdaughter took a seat next to her.

"I've been trying to get a hold of you, but I don't think I have your number." Snow said, glancing down at her milkshake.

Regina then realized how awkward this whole ordeal was- for a while she had forgotten everything she and Snow had been through in the past. And now, she wanted her cellphone number.

"I wanted to congratulate you on the great news!" Her smile couldn't have been bigger.

"Oh... Thank you Snow," Regina said slowly, surprised she knew so quickly.

That Swan couldn't keep her mouth shut.

She gave her a quick hug, looking ready to burst with excitement.

"Guess what?" Snow didn't even wait for a response. "I'm pregnant too!"

Regina's eyes widened. "What? Are you serious?"

Her stepdaughter nodded; she couldn't help but hug her again.

"So my stepdaughter is pregnant the exact same time as I am... Weird." She muttered, lightly hugging her back.

"David must be excited," Regina smiled, "I know Henry and Roland are."

"Storybrooke will be full of so many babies!"

"Babies?" Came Ruby's voice, from behind the counter, "did I just hear the word babies?"

Regina braced herself for some screaming.