Meeting Henry

A few hours later, both Henry and Regina were laying on the plush green grass. Regina had managed to turn his sadness into laughs as they finished the tour of the slowly fading house. They walked through everything from deserted bedrooms to the eerie stables- the one place she actually missed out of everything else in that house.

It was around noon, making the sun's positioned directly above them in the perfect blue sky. Regina found herself having fun with the twelve year old, something they hadn't shared together in quite a long time. She just hoped it would stay that way for a while.

"Apple?" Regina asked, using magic to pull one off the tree nearby. Henry looked at it hesitantly.

"Oh relax," she smirked, knowing him well enough to know he was thinking of the Fairytale that went with it. "It's just an apple. A special one, I might add, since it's from my tree."

There used to be rows of apple trees lining the sides of the house; then, one day, her mother got them all chopped down because it blocked the view- or, what's what she claimed. She and her father managed to spare two- one ended up in her castle and the other remained here, its roots firmly set into the ground.

Henry took the apple and took a big, juicy bite into it. "You know, I had to live like this when I was with them, the Lost Boys. Nothing but the woods, the sun, and... Them."

Regina heard the tentativeness in his voice, it made her sad inside. "Henry, what happened to you after they took you?"

Her son began fiddling with his fingers. "Well Peter tried to make me believe that you guys weren't coming for me," he said slowly, "but I wouldn't believe him."

This caused a smile of relief to come across her face. She could always count on Henry to believe in what's right.

"They tied me up and wouldn't let me leave... Or do anything. It was scary."

He gave her a small look of true childish fear before it was covered by a false courage. Noticing this, Regina couldn't help but miss the younger Henry, the one that possessed more childlike ignorance to all the scary things in the world. But, of course, he had her for a mother- things couldn't remain hidden forever.

"Well you never have to go back to that. I promise." She said softly in an attempt to comfort him.

"Mom..." He started, with his mouth full, "you seem different from when we were in Storybrooke. I haven't heard you said anything bad to Snow, or even Emma. Does being with Robin and that kid really make you happier?"
Regina just stared at him, caught off guard for a moment. Was it really that obvious?

"Umm... Well, they're the only people besides everyone from home that seem to like me," she said, "for who I really am."

Henry knew that what she was saying was true. Still, he felt weird about her having a secret life over with them. Then, he had an idea.

"Can we go over there right now?" He asked suddenly, setting the eaten apple down on the grass.

Regina gave him a look. "Henry, we can't just go over there. It doesn't work like that."

"Why not? I want to meet them!"

"Because it's not our house, that's why." Regina argued, "they could be busy too."

"Come on, you know you want to," Henry folded his arms. He knew he wasn't that great at winning arguments with her, but this time he had a feeling he would end up on top. "Unless you want to go back to the room and be locked in with Snow White and Prince Charming."

The deal was sealed- he could see it in her eyes.

"I guess we could..." She sighed.

Henry smiled as she took his hand, both of them soon evaporating in purple smoke. They reappeared right in front of the small cottage, everything around it calm and tranquil.