Stepping it Up

Here's the Captain Swan date chapter! (finally I know) I'd like to dedicate this chapter to Nicole, who has been patiently waiting for me to write this. And to my Swanthief shippers, don't let this deter you! I love you guys too- I pinky promise there will be Neal/Emma interaction in the near future :)

--

"Are you ready to go Emma?"

The blonde looked up in surprise towards the pirate. For a second, she didn't know what he was talking about. Then the memory of their past conversation hit.

"Now?" She asked back, setting down her fork.

"It's a great day outside, I don't see why not." Hook replied.

"Wait. What's happening?" Snow asked, seeing her daughter's perplexed expression.

Emma sighed. "I... Told Hook we could go to the village today, nothing big."

She tried keeping her voice hushed; she really wasn't in the mood for a debate with her parents about her dating life. As she expected, Neal was up out of his bed as snapped into a defensive mode.

"Emma, you're... Going out with this guy?"

"No, I'm not!" She shot back irritably, knowing her son would be on her case next. "I just need a break from all this, that's it."

Before anyone else had the chance, Emma grabbed Killian by the hand and lead him towards the door. She tried her best to avoid the hurt expression on Neal's face as they left the Charmings behind them.

"Ugh, you had to do that in front of everyone?" Emma asked him irritably, slightly sad she left half her breakfast behind.

"Sorry, love, how was I supposed to know you wanted it to be a secret?" Hook responded, trying to keep up with her fast pace.

"Well now Neal's going to be on my case! Henry too!"

"You shouldn't have to worry about what Neal thinks," he told her, "whatever is between you and him should stay between you two- let's just have a good time at the villages and forget all that."

Emma knew he was right. She was somewhat excited to finally have something planned; they had been in the Enchanted Forest for a month and all she ever did was hang out with her parents and meet old friends of theirs that believed she was still a princess.

"So what are we going to do?"

Hook smiled. "There's a small festival of sorts going on around the south side, thought it would be fun."

In her mind, she pictured a undermined carnival- she was quite a fan of those when they rolled into town and she got to go while in the foster system.

The streets were flooded with people walking every which way when they arrived. Emma stayed close to the pirate so she wouldn't get lost in the massive crowd. Everything seemed alive that afternoon; the sun was beating down directly at them and the sky was a perfect blue.

"Where do you want to go first, Swan?" Hook asked, scanning past the people with narrowed eyes.

Emma did the same, soon spotting a ring toss station. Three teenage boys were standing in front of it, each holding one or two rings as they threw them at the targets (and failed miserably while doing so). She gave the pirate a nudge and started off for the station. Hook fished out a coin and handed it to the man behind the rope, who then presented him with ten wooden rings.

"Are you good at these, love?"

Giving him a look, Emma took her five rings. "Watch and learn." She then walked up beside the teenagers, taking one and setting herself up for the throw. They all gave her looks as they stopped to watch. Their expressions soon turned to shock when she nailed every single one in about give seconds.