Mending

Emma tried to make the four year old as content as possible. Regina told her that Henry blew up earlier that day, making her feel sympathy for the boy. Even though she was hoping for a night alone with Killian, she didn't mind having him tag along too. The pirate was already over at the apartment; he was in the middle of baking chocolate chip cookies.

"Put them farther apart lad, or they'll stick together in the oven." Killian told him gently, assisting him in moving each individual ball of dough with his fingers. Emma watched them with a smile as she tried watching some reality tv show. Roland was hoisted up with one of Hook's arms so he could reach the countertop.

"Like this?" The boy asked, pressing his fingers together and watching them stick together once he finished.

"Yup, now all we have to do is wait for them to bake."

Roland smiled up at him quickly before sticking his fingers into his mouth.

"You're not supposed to eat the dough Roland!" Killian told him playfully, setting him down back to the ground and being careful with his hook as he did so.

"But it tastes yummy!" He conjured, reaching up for more. But the pan was quickly lifted up beyond his reach and placed inside the oven.

The pirate smiled a bit as he lead the child out of the kitchen. The two of them took a seat next to Emma on the couch. Roland immediately found his way onto the blonde's lap before Killian had a chance to put his arm around her.

"Is he your boyfriend?" Roland asked her, a sly smile on his face.

Emma raised her eyebrow at the bluntness of his question. She hated putting labels on relationships.

"Uh, I guess you could say that."

"Is he your Prince Charming?" He immediately followed, excitement evident in his voice, "do you love him? Will you two get married?"

The blonde exchanged a dubious glance with the man sitting next to her, who seemed amused. "Whoa there kid, we're just dating."

She messed with his hair and wrapped her arms around his small frame.

"What about Neal?" He asked through his giggles.

Emma knew that question was coming. "I'll always love a part of him, but too many things have happened between us. He'll always be Henry's father, though."

Suddenly, Roland was confused. He remembered his mother telling him that babies were made only by true love. How else could she be having one? By what the blonde just said, that explanation didn't add up.

"Well I'm happy that you're happy."

Just then, the doorbell rang, and Killian got up to answer it. They had ordered a pizza for their evening in. He cut one into little pieces for Roland and presented it to him on a white paper plate. As they ate, Emma pulled her phone out and snapped a few pictures of her and Roland to send to Regina. Maybe it would cheer her up a bit.

"I can't wait to do fun things for my birthday." He told her with his mouth full, making both Emma and Hook exchange surprised glances between one another. They had completely forgotten about his birthday. The thing that scared the blonde most of all was the fact that Regina hadn't talked about it all; with her being the most compulsive planner she knew, it was now obvious that she had forgotten as well.

"Yeah... I know you'll have lots of fun. Just curious, what would you want for your birthday?"

Roland hummed loudly as he thought about it. "A puppy!"