Maybe (?)

"Izzy!"

I called out to my 7-year old daughter from the entrance of the gymnasium. I was a few minutes late due to traffic. She turned when she heard my voice and ran to me excitedly with her bag hastily slung on her shoulder.

"Mom! I have lots of stories to tell you!"

She was grinning madly while running to me and I opened my arms to welcome her into a hug. I didn't care if she was sweaty. I love my daughter, stinky or not.

"So, I'm guessing you had fun?"

"Yes! And our coach is the best, Mom! She's so amazing! I learned a lot already!"

I chuckled at how full of energy Izzy was despite finishing a 2-hour training program. She's 7 years old and sure, their drills might not be that difficulty yet being the first day of the program, but I bet it wasn't also easy.

No, I'm sure it wasn't easy. Knowing the coach of the program, there's no way it would have been easy.

"I'm sure she's great," I agreed with my daughter.

"She is! You should have come earlier, Mom," Izzy whined. "You should talk to her. She said I have a lot of potential, you know?"

I beamed proudly at my daughter. I'm glad she's enjoying volleyball the same way I did. Being great at it was only consolation to her being happy.

"I'm sorry, love. I didn't expect the traffic. But I promise to pick you up earlier next time and to talk to this amazing coach of yours."

I chuckled in my head thinking how surprised my daughter will be when she finds out that I know her coach. Izzy would probably whine at me for not telling her that her coach and I used to be teammates.

"Okay," Izzy said happily.

Izzy's eyes suddenly widened with excitement.

"Coach Jia!" Izzy shouted before jogging past me. I stood straighter, realizing that my friend was somewhere behind me.

"Izzy," Jia said with her soft voice. She hasn't changed. "Are you going home already?"

"Yes, coach! My mom is here."

I took that as my cue to turn around.

When my eyet met Jia's, she gasped. I smiled warmly.

"Hi, Jia. It's been a while."

"Bea?" Jia asked with disbelief.

I saw Izzy looking from me to Jia in confusion. 

"You know each other?"

"She's your daughter?"

I laughed when Izzy and Jia talked at the same time.

"Yes," I answered the both of them.

Izzy frowned and walked back to me. Jia kept quiet trying to process the information.

"How do you know Coach Jia, Mom? Why didn't you tell me?" Izzy bombarded me with her questions.

I laughed.

"I used to play volleyball with your coach back in college," I answered Izzy before glancing at Jia.

"No way!" Izzy gasped. "You never told me you played volleyball? And you played with Coach Jia? Don't lie, Mom. She only played with major teams."

I ruffled my daughter's already messy hair. She's acting like I'm pulling her leg.

Jia cleared her throat, making Izzy and I turn to her. She was already smiling and seemed to have recovered from this sudden event when our eyes met again.